The_Caper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good morning all:

Does anyone know where I can go to view images taken specifically with the 100-400 and 1.4 TC attached. I am seriously considering purchasing these two items and would also like to know what my maximum f stop is going to drop too and what the IQ is like with 1.4 TC.

Thanks all.

My friend tried out this combination ... and gave up saying it is unuseable.

I've not tried it, but my research suggested what has been posted. This lens is already slow on the long end and takes some practice to get great shots. I wanted to try and finally decided not to.

If you do, would love to see your results.

Thanks all:

I just need something longer than 200mm. I seem to be having trouble using my 70-200 F4L without an extender. I guess it's either the 100-400 stand alone or possibly the 300mm F4L with 1.4. I certainly love the results you
have been getting with your 100-400 TC but you were saying that it takes some practice on good technique?

Usayit: I currently have the 350D but will be purchasing either the 40D or the replacement for the 5D whenever it comes out?

remember that on the 5D replacement your lenses will feel shorter ...

I use a 1.4TC from kenko with my 300mm f/4 but it is not really long on full frame.

but the combination is useable.

Thanks Alex:

That is one strong reason why I may not go with the full frame. The 1.6X Crop will give me the edge on length I think.

Since wildlife is predominantly what I like to shoot what advantages does a full frame body provide over the 1.6 crop body, are there any?

Thanks Alex:

That is one strong reason why I may not go with the full frame. The 1.6X Crop will give me the edge on length I think.

Since wildlife is predominantly what I like to shoot what advantages does a full frame body provide over the 1.6 crop body, are there any?

well, technically you could get better image quality, depends on the sensor of the 5D, but full frame has higher potential than crop if you compare equivalent sensor generations.

However the really long L lenses are extremely expensive. hence for you a 1.6 crop might really be it .. after all this is just like a 1.6 TC ;)

There is no AF with that combo. I use it but the shots are slightly softer. Basically, I only use this combo if the shot would otherwise be impossible.

Here is an example of that combo with a 30D (560 mm). The pic has been resized for web posting.

tiger at 560mm.jpg

ISO 640
1/640 @ f/8.0
560mm focal length on 30D (not accounting for the 1.6 crop; 896mm with the 1.6)

The Caper -

I meant to tell ya. In almost ever review I've read recommended the 70-200 for both of the teleconverters that canon offers (1x and 2X).

The Caper -

I meant to tell ya. In almost ever review I've read recommended the 70-200 for both of the teleconverters that canon offers (1x and 2X).

I have both of those lenses and the 1.4TC. For wildlife, I would go with the 100-400. I love the 2.8 on the 70-200, but you loose it when you add the TC. You might as well have the 100-400 without the TC. In my opinion, the impact on the IQ is about the same with both lenses. Howver, I must admit that I do not put the TC on the 70-200 very often. I just swap over to the 100-400 so I do not have the loss of IQ.

I feel your pain with the decision. I went through the same thing. I ended up with the 100-400 first because I wanted to shoot mostly wildlife.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back