EF 70-200 2.8 IS can you still buy it new?

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello and Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays!
I was searching for the canon 70-200 2.8 IS but adorama and BH says it's not available and the canon website doesn't have it listed, they have the 70-200 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 IS II.
Is the 70-200 2.8 IS still in production or was it completely replaced by the IS II?
How much did they ran for?

As far as I know, the II version replaced the old version, so the old version is no longer in production.

Probably plenty of them on the used market.

Thanks for the prompt response. I will try to find one, maybe canon has a refurbished one. The refurbished lens sold out quickly at the canon site. Any other reputable stores like adorama and BH you might recommend for used lenses?

Yes, certainly try B&H and Adorama. Also check out KEH.com.

I wouldn't rule out photographers. These lenses are built to last, so it's probably unlikely that someone is selling one because it's worn out etc. You may not want one that has been dragged all over the world on the hip of a photojournalist, but there are plenty of hobbyists and part-time pros who have this lens and may be looking to upgrade to the newer version.

Thanks for the link. I checked it earlier, I'm just really scared of buying from someone I don't know and taking their word that the lens is in good condition.

Try KEH.com or local retailers that deal with second hand goods - then you'd be dealing with a respected and reliable trader and shouldn't have any problems (and if you do get problems you should be covered for a decent length of time - 30-90days in most places with some offering more).

I think the only shops now listing the lens as for sale new are only keeping the lens display up to get search hits; most shops will list the lens as out of stock and will likely inform you that its essentially unavilible new on the market.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back