EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM for XTi - Worth it?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it worth it to have a nice lens such as the EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM for a entry level DSLR? (Canon Rebel XTi)

Edit: EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM

Last edited:
No, you should have a 1DsMKIII before even looking at a white lens.

psssst. The 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM is better.

erm thats what I meant... lol

psh thats a little... meh
No white lenses for a XTi :( lol
Anyone else disagree?

Yes. Spend your money on glass. It's the glass more than the body that will make your image. When you upgrade your body, you will keep your Rebel as an extra body and the L lens can be used on either.

erm thats what I meant... lol

psh thats a little... meh
No white lenses for a XTi :( lol
Anyone else disagree?

I was being sarcastic. I've really been threatening people that I'll show up to a shoot with a silver bodied 300D and my 70-200 2.8 IS one day.

I got the f/4 instead. It is soooooooooooo much lighter and way easier to use. I have a broken XTi and still love it. it isnt super versatile but it is a killer portrait lens...I think the 2.8 is really best for people who plan on using it to shoot animals. I rented the 2.8 and it was nice but I really did get tired of carrying it, it scared children and took up way too much room in my bag. I am just as happy with the f/4's performance and 10x happier with the portability.

Oops, I meant to add I got the Is version of the 70-200mm f/4

Don't worry about using high end lenses with a lower end DSLR camera. The biggest difference between high end DSLR cameras and the lower ones, is the build of the body and the features...the sensors in the lower cameras are still pretty good...so if you use top quality lenses, you can still get top quality images.

Cool, I plan on trying to make some $$$ from friends and new people I meet from night games (soccer) or indoor hockey and other sports. But of course using it for other stuff, so I want the F/2.8 and the IS is always useful for other situations :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back