ef v ef-s

rhinoryan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a ef-s 300mm lens and i want a bit more zoom.... if i get a ef 300mm on my 40d will i be able to get in closer?

EF is the Canon mount that can be used on all of their digital cameras -- full frame and crop sensor

EF-S are specifically made for crop-sensor cameras and will vignette significantly on the full frame cameras.

At the same 300mm focal length on your crop sensor 40D, the image size will be the same (e.g. no additional zoom) with EF or EF-S. If you want more reach on your zoom, you must go to a longer focal length zoom (e.g. 100-400 or longer) or prime (e.g. 400mm f/5.6) or use a teleconverter (which 300mm do you own? I didn't think Canon made an EF-S 300mm prime). Not all lenses are compatible with teleconverters.

i have a ef-s 300mm lens and i want a bit more zoom.... if i get a ef 300mm on my 40d will i be able to get in closer?

No. EF and EF-S just designate the lens mount. Most APS-C Canon cameras can use EF and EF-S mount lenses with the exception of some of the really old cameras. The Canon APS-H and Full Frame cameras can only use EF mount.

It's not the mount that determines the FOV of a lens, it's the sensor.

No.

300 mm is 300 mm unless you switch from a crop sensor to full size.

EF/EF-S is just the mount. Well, actually the mount is the same. The diameter of the part of the lens that goes in the camera body is different.

EF-S lenses can't be used on EF bodies but EF lenses can be used on EF-S bodies. (Or, is it the other way around? :lol:)

EF-S are specifically made for crop-sensor cameras and will vignette significantly on the full frame cameras.

EF-S lenses won't even mount without modification. They'll end up contacting internal camera parts if you try to mount them.

No.

300 mm is 300 mm unless you switch from a crop sensor to full size.

EF/EF-S is just the mount. Well, actually the mount is the same. The diameter of the part of the lens that goes in the camera body is different.

Depth maybe? Diameter measures the width of a circle. The back portion of an EF-S lens fits deeper into the body vs. an EF lens,

I do not think Canon has a EF-S lens that has a focal length longer than 250mm.
That was the first thing I thought when I read this thread.

So if the OP has a 300mm EF-S lens...he had better hold onto it...it must be rare. :er: :lol:

Maybe he is referring to a 70-300 zoom, but is only interested in the long end? Also, village idiot; in some cases EF-S lenses will fit fine on a body with EF mount though only in some cases, and it's not really recommended to try as I understand.

Maybe he is referring to a 70-300 zoom, but is only interested in the long end? Also, village idiot; in some cases EF-S lenses will fit fine on a body with EF mount though only in some cases, and it's not really recommended to try as I understand.

Last time I heard some one trying this, their focus screen popped out.

:lol: bad luck for them I guess!

Like I say, not really recommended.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back