Ef vs Efs lenses on the 550D?

Discussion in 'Canon Lenses' started by ecphoto, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ecphoto

ecphoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a 550D and thus far all I've used is EFS lenses.
    I can get some really affordable EF lenses for it, like the 75-300 USM III for $99.

I know the 550D has a x1.6 crop factor, does that apply to EF lenses regardless of if they are for Digital or Film
    since full frame is essentially the same thing?

Also would I see a lot of vignetting due to the end of the barrel being further from the censor?

2. Tiberius47

Tiberius47 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Focal length is focal length. Doesn't matter what lens it is on. A 50mm EFS will give the same field of view as a 50mm EF lens. They don't make the correction for you.

3. ecphoto

ecphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So it wont crop even though its a crop sensor camera with a lens made for FF cameras?

4. Tony S

Tony S Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Both lenses have the same view, the difference is that the EFS lens supposed to be optimized to take advantage of the cropped sensor... it has nothing to do with the perceived effect of cropping. Everything will look the same through either type of lens.

There is no cropping done by the lens or sensor... it only gives a field of view that makes it appear as if it's been cropped. I'm sure some of the more techy folks who like explaining this better will jump in.

5. ecphoto

ecphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's all I was wondering.
    I can get a 75-300 EF lens for about $99 or a 75-300 EFS for about $160 used.
    If I can get the same exact image with the cheaper one I'm all for it :) lol.

6. ISO

ISO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 75-300 is a pretty cheap/crappy lens, the 55-250mm is miles better, little less reach, and more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

7. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    FWIW the 75-300 that I had (second lens I ever got) was atrocious, worst lens by far that I've used. I think mine may have been version I or II, but either way it's a cheap, ****ty lens. Yeah, you get what you pay for.

Also just in case it wasn't clear to you, EF lenses will work on crop or full frame, and EF-s lenses will only work on crop sensor.

8. boofoo502

boofoo502 TPF Noob!

My first dslr came with a 75-300, and while low light was bad, and focus now seems slow to me I have to say if you do your part behind the camera it gets some good photos. I know I used it for years outdoors in sunny settings with good results.

9. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They don't make an EF-s 75-300. It would be pretty pointless to do if they already have an EF lens with the same focal range.

10. ecphoto

ecphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  11. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. Tiberius47

Tiberius47 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

If you take a 50mm EF lens and put it on a full frame camera such as the 5D, then it will give you a "true" 50mm look. Take that very same lens and put it on a crop camera like the 7D and it will give you the look of an 80mm lens. In other words, to get the same image, you'd need a 50mm lens on the 7D and a 80mm lens on the 5D.

If you take a 50mmEF-S lens and put it on the 7D, it will give you the same image as the 50mm EF lens. The focal length is the same. The crop factor isn't taken into account, because crop factor doesn't actually affect the lens. It comes about because the sensor is smaller and doesn't get as wide a field of view. A 50mm is a 50mm. They won't put an 80mm label on a 50mm EF-S lens just because the field of view is the same as an 80mm lens on a full frame camera.