Effect

smlplz06

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello. I'm trying to edit an image I have. I'm fairly new to photography. The image is in black/white, what I want to do is keep the image in black/white but give color to part of that image. Let's take a flower for example, the background would be black/white but only that one flower would be in color. Can photoshop achieve this or what program/camera can give me this effect? And is there a name for this effect? :confused:
Thank you.

Yes photoshop can do it but the image needs to be in colour to start with! If you have the colour version, create a new layer, make the layer black and white, then select the eraser tool and rub out layer where you want colour. It's called a cut-out. Here's one I did:

93051432_f219461be2.jpg

But if the image is black and white to start with. Hmm, that sounds much more difficult. Colour it in manually? Good luck with doing that!!! Maybe someone else has better advice if that's the case. I would reshoot in colour if you can and do as above.

Just one thing - images don't have to be color to start with. If your image is BW, just change color mode to RGB in Photoshop (Image/Mode/RGB), then:
1. With selection tool (lasso, or for more accurate results path pen) select the area you wish to colorize
2. Go to Image/Adjustments/Hue-Saturation and play with the settings.

Most reactions

Back