Eggs, pollen, nectar, other?

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Experimenting again today (quiet on the work front for me) and thought I would test how close I could get with the 50mm with a the full set of extension rings.

Almost as a joke I picked this tiny flower (about 10mm across) as my subject. When reviewing some of the shots I discovered there was more to see than I could with my naked eye, its whats on the stamen that has me a little curious, any ideas?

Flower is about 10mm (less than 1/2 an inch) across, the ant is about 3mm (about 1/8th of an inch) and appeared to be quite attracted to the tiny beads, and although I couldnt actually see it happen, the ant appeared to eat the beads.

All shots manual focus, manual exposure, 1/200th to knock out ambient, f/10, manual strobe handheld.

1. tighter crop of 2
mg9248.jpg

mg9248large.jpg

3. Felt the need to add something to scene, kinda tricky to catch something this small without damaging it, was a one shot deal though.
mg9283w.jpg

4. Artsy?
mg9235.jpg

My guess is nectar?

maybe nectar...i thought nectar looked sappy tho...like a little more watery honey. at least thats what it looks like in a honey suckle.
they look jellyish...I dunno...I have one of a caterpillar that had these white things all over his back...and I said "awww eggs" and turns out they were WASP eggs..a wasp lays eggs on it's back..the larva hatches and EATS the caterpillar alive...then I was just totally grossed out and started to really detest nature. :(
plus the pillars ate all my tomatoe plants...I was pissed.
oh...sorry...I didnt' take my adderall...sorry to babble.
BTW...LOVE THE PICS!!!!

took my meds...now the edit..
I just googled Jelly like eggs ona flowers stigma...most say it's the flowers reproduction system = i'd go with eggs then.
I had no idea flowers made eggs...glad you posted that, I just learned something new (musta been stoned in biology class in high school) :lmao:

Last edited:
IMO:
#1 very interesting
#2 definately better with the ant on it like #3
#3 is definately my fav
#4 can't keep my eyes from flowing to the green on the left side

maybe nectar...i thought nectar looked sappy tho...like a little more watery honey. at least thats what it looks like in a honey suckle.
they look jellyish...I dunno...I have one of a caterpillar that had these white things all over his back...and I said "awww eggs" and turns out they were WASP eggs..a wasp lays eggs on it's back..the larva hatches and EATS the caterpillar alive...then I was just totally grossed out and started to really detest nature. :(
plus the pillars ate all my tomatoe plants...I was pissed.
oh...sorry...I didnt' take my adderall...sorry to babble.
BTW...LOVE THE PICS!!!!

took my meds...now the edit..
I just googled Jelly like eggs ona flowers stigma...most say it's the flowers reproduction system = i'd go with eggs then.
I had no idea flowers made eggs...glad you posted that, I just learned something new (musta been stoned in biology class in high school) :lmao:

Thanks, yep ok...what meds again, lol, I dont believe any flower makes eggs, pollen is their "sperm" if I remember correctly, the eggs idea was aimed at an insect laying them perhaps, haha, nice theory though NN :) As for nectar you have to remember these things are tiny, maybe 1/10-1/20th of a mm each, so with their viscosity they would naturally form tiny beads/spheres I guess.

IMO:
#1 very interesting
#2 definately better with the ant on it like #3
#3 is definately my fav
#4 can't keep my eyes from flowing to the green on the left side

Thnaks jaymac, I think you nailed the issue for 4. It does that for me as well, background in that area is too bright.

no no ...i know you meant insect eggs...but when I googled jellyish looking eggs on flowers stigma, they actually showed flowers with "eggs" that the flower pushes up through the stigma to be ...oh...forget it...I dont remember...lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back