Ektachrome re-birth

Don't hold your breath waiting for Kodachrome.

Kodachrome likely will NEVER make it back...the processing is just too complex. Kodachrome was 1937 technology...E-6 is just fine,fine,fine.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Kodachrome.

Kodachrome likely will NEVER make it back...the processing is just too complex. Kodachrome was 1937 technology...E-6 is just fine,fine,fine.

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard someone say they're going to reverse-engineer K-14. They're all fired up about it, probably because they think it's as simple as C-41 or E-6.

Then, they disappear off the face of the planet.

Kodak can count on the Ektachrome halo effect unless or until it walks back the film's roll-out. Q4 is a way away. A Kodachrome revival does seem far-fetched, given the mechanical/chemical complexity of processing a material they axed due to low/no demand, more so than its E-6 stock. Kodak execs can be excused an unguarded CES comment.

I am not holding my breath. The end of year proposed release date makes it sound like it will never happen. I see Kodak mentioned this film for the Super 8 camera (which was announced early last year and still have seen nothing) and I would think they would want the film out before the Super 8 so the still camera people could help build up some business for processing labs for Ektachrome.

The old projector, an empty 80 slide carousel and a stack loader are sitting in the bottom of a closet, don't have a slide sorting table these days.

The Kodak mailers were excellent, would arrive back home from the trip and the slides would already be there. I expect it was Paul Simon's mom that wanted to take his Kodachrome away as she was the one buying all those expensive Mailers.

Now, if only they would bring back the mailer packs (and the lab on Choke Cherry Road) for those of us that can't process E6.

GOTTA' HAVE a guaranteed way to get E-6 slide film rolls developed and mounted. The film is almost useless without a good, solid lab to soup the film, and to mount it, properly and well, in 35mm plastic slide mounts. AS cgw mentioned earlier, 'artisanal JOBO labs' just will not cut the mustard. Bringing back mailers seems to me to be an absolutely necessary first step to selling any of this film in any volume. I have an Ektagraphic carousel projector and four 140 slide trays still filled, and two 80-slide trays, and thousands of boxed slides, PLUS my granddad's projector and his 35mm slides from 1953-1976. In fact, about two months ago, I saw slides of ME as a baby and toddler, for the first time! Kodachrome slides, of me, some 54 and 53 years ago! Colors looked good!

Most reactions

Back