ELearning photography plateform

JackSMITH2016

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am beginner in the photography field. I am looking for e-learning platform that offers free courses in this area. any suggestion

lynda.com and kelbyone.com usually have 30 day free trial periods. I've used lynda.com and found it useful. They both have monthly membership dues of around $25 that kicks in after the free trial.

Don't know your location but you may also want to check your local library. Many of them have books and DVDs. Helpful to me have been the books of photos by well known and respected photographers.

Get some BOOKS on photography, so you can see an entire framework layed out. Videos are fine, but so many are merely recipes, and do not teach much more than one thing, presented in isolation. There's a huge number of reasons that books--with their printed words and photographic illustrations and charts and tables are still the single predominant format used in higher education across the entire world.

The expression, "You don;t even know what it is that you don't know," plays into this. While videos and on-line stuff is great, it's often challenging or impossible to find things unless you know, exactly, what it is that you need to be searching for. A comprehensive book on photography can give you a framework, and probably teach you more, in less time, than months and months' worth of video-watching.

Lot of good John Hedgcoe books used and cheap on amazon. @Derrel recommended them to someone on here months ago and I bought a few and have been doing the projects out of them. Read all three front to cover and then started some of the projects in them. Old but very helpful. I have done over 20 projects and it has really opened up a whole new world for me.

Amazon.com: John Hedgecoe: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you can't get the books I suggest you go to YoouTube and subscribe to B-H Camera, Adorama, Canon Australia, and Canon USA (although aimed at Canon users most are very generic. BandH have, and continue to put out some of the highest quality videos on various aspects of photography. My opinion is that because BH usually allocates an hour or more per 'lesson' that the coverage is far more in depth and better explained than the others. Even DigitalREV puts out an occasional outstanding vid.

As for Scott Kelbey and KelbeyOne I believe the Digital Photography book series 1 thru 4 (not 5) are one of the best resources for the beginner. All can be had very cheaply used on Amazon. Although some may disagree ALL of the Tony Northrup vids come up lacking.

I know you asked for free lessons, but if you find yourself with $100 or so I would highly recommend CreativeLives's Fundamentals of Photography by John Greengo.

Last edited:
I am beginner in the photography field. I am looking for e-learning platform that offers free courses in this area. any suggestion
If you go the personal information tab in your profile there is a place to put your location. That location will show up under your name and Avitar, if you add one, letting people know where you are so they can answer questions related to where you are.

Cool Huh? :allteeth:

Hey,

Have you tried the Digital Photography School? They cover quite a few topics and provide great tips for beginners, from the fundamentals of exposure to post-processing.

KmH said:

This is the kind of dry, arcane, useless information the world wide web is FILLED with...useless technical regurgitations and almost jack squat about how to "do" photography. Even the portraiture segment sucks.

I would suggest instead of wasting your time, that you buy a used, two-cent John Hedgecoe photography book off of Amazon, and pay the $4.98 shipping charge for the book, and then look through the entire book, at its 350 to 400 pages and its 950 to 1,100 illustrations and charts and diagrams, and get some education about "photography", rather than filling your head with nearly useless technical babble about sensors and pixel wells and quantum efficiency and fill factor and anti-aliasing filter arrays and other nonsense--and learn some basic terms like normal lens, wide-angle lens, telephoto lens, perspective, apparent perspective distortion,front light,side light, shadows, highlights, contrast, fill light, focusing, depth of field, how to FIND light, how to POSITION your camera in relation to the light, how to position the SUBJECT in relation to the light on-scene, how to SEE pictures, and how to COMPOSE a fricking image.

The Digital Photography Tutorials site is trotted out so often, but you know what? It's really LAME, and it has been built more to show off the author's knowledge rather than to educate, to teach, or to show. The portrait examples...a couple of computer-generated faces? LMFAO...

Put the camera on Programmed Auto, and get a Hedgecoe book and learn photography, not what the computer does, not how the electronics in the camera work.

You want to learn about photography? Get some books written by actual photographers, not internet geeks.

One of my favorite saying about folks that are so techie is that they forget the doing and get hung up on the how. Or, ask them the time and they will explain to you how to build a watch.
Personally I want to be a photographer not a camera engineer. Nothing wrong with being a camera engineer just not what I personally want.

KmH said:

This is the kind of dry, arcane, useless information the world wide web is FILLED with...useless technical regurgitations and almost jack squat about how to "do" photography.
Useless? No way Jose!

But you're probably right in that lots of people today have to be lead by the hand and on their own can't get from good technical information to how to apply the information in the real world.

Sharp people learn boatloads of "how to do" from that web site.

A good understanding of the technical & artistic fundamentals forms the foundation that supports the ability to consistently make good photographs.
Anyone lacking a good understanding of the technical aspects of doing photography won't be able to consistently make good photographs.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back