elementary school kid photos and the law?

Misfitlimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok a buddy of mine and myself where chosen by a professor for a project, the project being that me and him essentially get assignments from the city of ventura. the assignments are for a magazine/phonebook deal that has places of business and places of interest and schools in ventura. my question is would we need releases to shoot pictures of underage kids? I didnt wanna be the creepy guy shooting pics of kids and we where both assigned to go shoot pictures at an elementary school. I declined the job when I asked our art director if we needed to worry about releases for the any of the kids at the school and she was not sure if we needed them or not or if it was an issue. She wasnt mad or anything and was actually quite pleased that I was asking questions about stuff that could essentially put us in hot water. any thoughts or input on this would help a bunch thanks guys. sorry if this is in the wrong forum

Not one comment on this? I guess you guys dont wanna touch this either.

with everything going on today and all this "save the children" and "omg you glanced in the general direction of a child you must be a pedophile" crap...umm yea. me personally, i have no intention ever of going anywhere near anything like this. 18+ only. thanks. :)

that said, its my understanding that pictures taken in a public place of people would only need releases for commercial (ie: advertising) type work. if its simply an editorial or a newspaper type thing then general usage is allowed without a release. however, i notice even on tv news type shows they blur the faces of minors (like cops and other reality type shows) so that may only apply to those who are 18+.

others are welcome to correct me if im wrong, but that's how i've been reading such issues to date.

The schools my children go to send a form annual asking if images for your child can be published so I would assume they would have to be reviewed by school staff prior to any work publish at a minimum. I think it would be pretty foolish to go around taking photos of peoples kids and likely get you into a confrontation at least around where I live (I would have school staff present with you in any case). Many people are against photos of their kids by strangers this is the world we live in and its not unjustified.

My wife is a Kindergarten teacher and all of her kids have their parents fill out a form at the beginning of the year giving permission to be photographed while on school property ... she knows who can, and can not, be photographed in her classroom (this includes if she brings in HER camera as well).

I am sure that all schools have SOMETHING like this in place, just ask the school officials before you do ANY photography.

Same thing as LB said. My mom's a teacher, but she got lucky this year and all her students' parents returned the forms all filled out. Just ask the administration there and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I have taken a number of photos of kids in elementary schools and video as well for use in newspapers, on television stations, and in public relations.

I was told by the head of media in the regional school board that as long as the students are involved in activities related to education in the schools or some other public place ie. museum, arena, park,etc., then NO permission is required from parents, although obviously you will need school or board permission to shoot in a school or classroom.

Some schools send home forms but that is more related to marriage breakdown/custody battles/danger of parental abduction situations where there is a legal reason to keep the location of a particular child "out of the public eye" and therefore out of photos or video.

skieur

You don't need model releases if the photos are being used for editorial, as was said above. Permission from the parents or guardians is not needed to take photos of minors and to use them in an editorial context or to display them as art.

If you're using the photos commercially, you would need a model release signed by the minor's parents or guardians.

Also, if the school is allowing you to come in and shoot, you can do so and shouldn't need any consent from parents as the administrator of the school is letting you do this. If any one is going to be harassed about this, it would be him.

A kid's parents may not like that, but it's the law.

Contact the Principal of the school and let him/her know what's going on. Then ask if there is a particular angle that they would like taken and if they would like time to make sure it was picked up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back