Elinchrom EL-Skyport Question

So if I go this route with the strobes I chose I will have to do this right?

2 Sunpak 383s. 2 Optical slaves(bulb looking things connected with mini micro wire)

If my built in flash can trigger them my Sunpak should definitely be able to correct? Any recommended setup if I go 100% optical?

I may even go this route.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/415404-REG/Morris__2_AC_Umbrella_Flash.html

This seems like a functional kit but doesn't seem all that powerful. I'll keep looking.

This one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...VSD300_3KIII_VSD300_3_Monolight_Portrait.html

Looks nice.

You have the flashes already, right?

Just get stands, umbrellas and triggers. Save yourself about $50 over that kit, if not more.

I only have a basic Sunpak flash. The one best buy sells for 99.99. It was on sale for 62.99 so I got it because I figured it was way better than the onboard flash. I think its better and misfires aside it does what I expected it to do.

I am in process of getting the lighting now.

Originally it was going to be sunpak 383, Impact light stands w/umbrella kit. I want to be able to use a 430 EX to fire 2 Sunpak 383s. Once I get into needing more advanced lighting I'll upgrade to remote triggers.

Shop around. You can get sunpacks way under 99.99 as shown HERE.

I am sure you could even beat the prices here if you take your time and look around more.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah.

Sunpak 383 x 2(maybe 3)
2(3) Optical Slaves

Cable for slaves

Light and umbrella kit

Speedlight 430 EX. I want a great on camera flash as well as one that is capable of firing the Sunpaks. I've read that Speedlight can't be a master but have also read that the slaves look for flash before going off. If they look for flashes than technically my current popup as well as Sunpak should work.

Start off with 1, practice some, then get 1-2 more and practice some more.

You would be amazed at what you can do with 1 single off camera flash. Two or more get interesting if you want multiple people in the shot, then I find it gets even more fun.

Sounds like a plan. I have so much fun with the external flash I have now. I'm sure it will be awesome having an umbrella setup.

I'll keep looking but I'm having issues finding slaves that will work with Sunpak. Wein doesn't say it does or doesn't. I"ll use google.

I saw this on Sunpak's site. Sunpak DSU01 Digital Slave Unit
I wouldn't have to worry about preflash firing it. Only issue now i'm having is will it connect to a lightstand without being ghetto and taping it. I can probably rig something to look professional.

Now I'm looking at this as lighting
Sunpak 383 $79.95
Sunpak DSU01 Digital Slave Unit $38.52
Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit $98.95

Optical slave will work for me now as I do very controlled shots.

By the way. Thanks Jerry, Village, and everyone for their help!

The thing about the 430EX not being a master is in regard to using it with the Canon proprietary wireless system.

Do you ever take any pictures?

Do I take pictures?
Yes

I've not taken with the 430EX though. I didn't see anything mentioned about the wireless system just a comparison between 580 and 430 which drew that conclusion for me.

Most reactions

Back