'ello blokes!

Kanthaka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As many others on here, I've found a great interest in photography. Mine, though, is a more recent interest. For many years, I've been content with a simple point-and-shoot camera. All I ever took pictures of were friends and family and the only time I ever took a camera with me anywhere was when I would go on vacation. But this all changed when I took a vacation to Smoky Mountains National Park. I've been to many places before but that was the first time I had attempted to be in nature for longer than ten minutes. :blushing: And, I must say, that I was pleasantly surprised. The views were breathtaking and I pointed my little point-and-shoot (which I still have now) and to my utter disappointment and frustration, it just couldn't capture what I was seeing. I'd raise the camera, aim, and take a shot like I usually do but none of the pictures I took came close to capturing the beauty that I was seeing. So, at that point, I'm thinking, "I guess this is just one of those moments where you really can't show someone how beautiful and amazing something is unless they're with you, right at the same moment, looking at the same exact thing." But I searched up pictures of the Smoky Mountains on Google and I was impressed with the pictures that professional photographers have been able to capture. Logically, my next thought was, "I want to be able to do that!"

TL;DR? I want to learn how to be able to take photographs that capture the awesomeness of what I'm seeing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in the technical aspects and the actual process of taking a great photo and maybe even "touching it up" on PhotoShop but I truly want to enjoy the experience of learning something new.

So, yeah. Hope to make new friends with similar goals but also to meet some great mentors! :mrgreen:

We've got sheilas here too, mate.

Welcome!

Welcome!

Sheilas? What are those? Female versions of blokes? :confused:

Oh and thank you!

Most of the members of this forum are from the US, Kanthaka. You didn't say where you're from and I think Designer has assumed you're an Aussie from your prominent use of the word "blokes" to refer directly to all of the people in the forum in the second person (which I also assumed was an Australianism), rather than the correct use; to refer exclusively to males in the third person! :mrgreen: :sexywink:

Chip Chip cheerio!

Hello and welcome to the forum...

Welcome!

Sheilas? What are those? Female versions of blokes? :confused:

Oh and thank you!

Most of the members of this forum are from the US, Kanthaka. You didn't say where you're from and I think Designer has assumed you're an Aussie from your prominent use of the word "blokes" to refer directly to all of the people in the forum in the second person (which I also assumed was an Australianism), rather than the correct use; to refer exclusively to males in the third person! :mrgreen: :sexywink:

I see. I've learned something new. My usage of "blokes" is actually a bit uncharacteristic of me. Its not a word that I use often but, for some reason, when I was writing my introduction it just seemed to somehow fit. :p I had thought the word was synonymous with "fellow" and assumed that it could be used to include females in a broader sense. I'm from the US btw. Pleasure to meet you. Now if you don't mind, this noobie has a question for you. Where should I start in this seemingly endless forum?

I've skimmed through some of the threads in the "Photography Beginners' Forum" and various topics have caught my attention. I definitely plan on reading up on as much as I can and on going out to photograph as much as I can but if there's any other piece of advice you'd like to state I would sure appreciate it! :sillysmi:

Oh and that goes out to anyone who's willing to give advice. I'd mention/tag the other people who have responded to this thread but I'm still not sure whether you can do that in this forum. :raisedbrow:

Chip Chip cheerio!

Is that Jeremy Clarkson on your avatar? That's one funny bloke. :lmao:

Where should I start in this seemingly endless forum?

I've skimmed through some of the threads in the "Photography Beginners' Forum" and various topics have caught my attention. I definitely plan on reading up on as much as I can and on going out to photograph as much as I can but if there's any other piece of advice you'd like to state I would sure appreciate it! :sillysmi:

Oh and that goes out to anyone who's willing to give advice. I'd mention/tag the other people who have responded to this thread but I'm still not sure whether you can do that in this forum.

There is no "right way". Some people like to post photographs and ask for comment and criticism, but it is optional.

Welcome to the site.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back