Emma

tyler_h

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Only my fourth portrait shoot, and only second with and sort of lighting gear so any c&c would be appreciated to help me improve. All are with the nifty fifty on a 550D. Combination of reflector and 430ex II (on camera in this case) used basically just as fill lighting. Let me know what you think: 2012_04_01_9437 by tyler_s_hamilton, on Flickr 2012_04_01_9473 by tyler_s_hamilton, on Flickr 2012_04_01_9502 by tyler_s_hamilton, on Flickr I know these do not form a set together but the intention was to try a few different things out. There are a few more on my flickr as well but I considered these to be the better few. Thanks for having a look.

1. The skin tones look weird. Kind of gray/ashen. The on-axis flash is giving you very flat light. The highlight under the eyes hard shadow on the neck are problems too. Overall, I like this shot. You just need to work on your lighting. Get your flash off-cam if you can, and preferably in close.

2. Way too much flare in this one for my liking. Skin tones are gray again, but in this one the whole shot is washed out by the flare.

3. This is your best shot, IMO. The light is again somewhat flat, but at least the tones and exposure look good. You have detail in both the highlights and the shadows.

#1 .. very yellow, and all of the foliage that is in front really distracts from the subject. Here is a quickie edit... not as an editing example, but more of how it should have been shot. (about a two minute edit...far from perfect)

Original ............................................................................... Edited
View attachment 5862

#2.. she is badly underexposed / flare hazed!

#3 very pale.. still a bit yellow. But best shot here....

Thanks for your comments Whiskey. Agreed that it's pretty flat lighting but certainly an improvement on my earlier stuff. cgipson1; definitely agree on the foliage part - plenty more I need to work on getting right in camera. I didn't even attempt to do the edit you started there. May I ask if your monitor I calibrated? I guess it would be better than mine; to me your edited looks pretty pink but that is likely my screen. Thanks.

Thanks for your comments Whiskey. Agreed that it's pretty flat lighting but certainly an improvement on my earlier stuff. cgipson1; definitely agree on the foliage part - plenty more I need to work on getting right in camera. I didn't even attempt to do the edit you started there. May I ask if your monitor I calibrated? I guess it would be better than mine; to me your edited looks pretty pink but that is likely my screen. Thanks.

Yes... I calibrate! :) On my monitor.. the original looks like she is in extreme hepatic failure... jaundiced!

Haha, I though as much. Thanks; Also, the second was intentionally left like that - a bit hipstery but thought I'd go with it from the lighting already there just to try it.

I really like #1 but the leaf over her face is VERY distracting. Watch for this kind of stuff and be ready to do some impromptu landscaping if needed. Ive had to do this before for shoots. Move rocks, tear up some grass, move a limb, etc..........

Most reactions

Back