Emotional support animals & airplanes

I don't remember seeing she had surgery scheduled (and what about pre-op I wonder?). Anyway, maybe she was cutting it close to get home far enough ahead for a scheduled surgery. If it was usually a 24 hour bus ride maybe that would've been a better option in the first place; maybe leaving the weekend before the surgery (since she was making plans to be off school for apparently a couple of weeks or so) would have allowed more time.

I don't think it really matters what a cached page from three years ago may have said according to Snopes, that's not current enough. To me it sounds like rodents are not allowed even as support pets/animals, but I'd sure be finding out. Even if she got this animal at say the beginning of the semester, you'd know you'd be needing to go home for holiday break, so why not read up on all this first and see what the policies are? and get clarification as needed?

Seems like at best an unfortunate lack of finding out enough info. or being able to problem solve or coming up with alternate plans (in case flights get cancelled due to the weather, etc.). Well, I don't know, I just have to wonder when someone doesn't call anybody for any help figuring this out, but then goes to reporters (or as sometimes happens, gets a lawyer). If someone can do that it seems like they ought to have been able to call someone and get help instead of waiting for three+ hours in an airport and after the fact, they're capable of talking to reporters.

Guess we'll see how it turns out and what the whole story is. There are questions in my mind about some of this. Maybe there's a need for looking at how airlines are handling this and making sure they have clear policies and guidelines and train staff better on it.

Guess we'll see how it turns out and what the whole story is. There are questions in my mind about some of this. Maybe there's a need for looking at how airlines are handling this and making sure they have clear policies and guidelines and train staff better on it.

And finally someone has gotten to this point.

The other article didn't mention surgery. The Snopes article is fact-checking the story.

ive seen a few online petitions calling for the girl to be charged with animal cruelty. wonder how thats going to play out.

And finally someone has gotten to this point.

The other article didn't mention surgery. The Snopes article is fact-checking the story.

The ADA does not cover emotional support animals "unless" they have been trained to perform a certain task. There's been some argument that in the case of anxiety attacks that the animal should be covered, however the law is clear that just "being there" doesn't qualify them. They have to be trained to perform a specific task related to the disability. It get's even crazier in that employees of companies are only allowed to ask two specific questions to determine if the animal falls under the ADA guidelines. Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability and what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? They are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability. FAQ- Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA

Unfortunately it's left a a void where airlines, some states, and even municipalities have moved to provide some regulatory guidelines on emotional support animals. Throw in some unscrupulous internet companies providing bogus documents, and you have a recipe for confusion.

However the point is not that regulation is needed, that's a given. Truthfully in thinking about it, I can't even say the young woman actually did the deed, as there's nothing to corroborate her story that she actually flushed the critter, only what she claims to have done. But if she did, then the point remains that she committed a cruel and inhuman act for which she should accept responsibility and pay the price for her actions whatever that may be.

You may have seen recent news about a woman denied boarding a commercial airliner with her emotional support peacock - for some reason.

Yesterday my sister witnessed a man denied boarding a commercial airliner with his 2 dead emotional support lovebirds.
My sister overheard the airline people telling him the airline only allowed one carrion.
. Real life stuff: 2010 Bandundu Filair Let L-410 crash - Wikipedia
Bada bing bada BOOM!
Oh Booooo!

I got a good core workout when I heard on the radio what the girl did with the hamster :biggrin-new::glee:, what a dope

People are getting very uptight about this story, why the women did or didnt do things. At the end of the day why do clothes irons need to come with a warning that you shouldn't iron clothes whist wearing them. Its because people are plain stupid and or they dont think for a second. Yes you could blame the airline for employing the cavity heads that gave her the green light twice in a row, ya they should be trained better.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is something I've never heard about, and with the type of work I've done I imagine I would have read something about it but of course I'm not doing that sort of work anymore. I'm just thinking I can see how an animal/pet could be of comfort, or a companion, etc. for someone dealing with a trauma or emotional distress to have a little furry friend to make you feel better. But if it's to the point that the person can't manage without it for a time there may be more going on with the person.

I was thinking, arrangements would have to be made depending on the surgery, how long someone would be in the hospital, how soon afterwards they'd be able to resume caring for the pet/animal, etc. I'd just think for support for a relatively short term medical situation (meaning not having a diagnosis of a long term emotional disorder) that someone could manage without it for a time. Or there may be a need for other coping mechanisms.

This just got me thinking of some kids that I've worked with that had behaviors or needs that interfered with their development. It sometimes was a matter depending on the diagnosis of figuring out what would work for them in a supportive way, so they could cope with times of overstimulation or being overwhelmed, in a relatively age appropriate way as much as possible. Sometimes it'd be a matter of trying more functional ways of support or finding substitutes for impractical items to take along for comfort, that were more workable for the family to support their child when they're going places.

I wonder what she does going to class, does she leave it at her apt. or wherever? If a young adult/college student can't do that then even if it was a short term medical situation, that seems like it could be heading into something possibly dysfunctional that shows a need for other support and coping mechanisms.

Maybe this is new enough that there aren't yet a lot of coping techniques being taught or offered to people dealing with anxiety or trauma, etc. I read too that regulations were eased up and since then there have people taking advantage of it, just wanting to bring pets along. Hope some good comes out of this.

I read too that regulations were eased up

To the contrary, most airlines have been tightening regulations.

Following peacock fiasco, United Airlines tightens policy for comfort animals
Delta tightens leash on comfort animals on flights, with rules for lack of federal regulation

Several issues going on here. While the individual may need a comfort animal, what about the comfort of the other passengers on the plane. Depending on the seat arrangement a 737 can hold over 200 passengers and 747 can hold over 600. These people have rights also. Last thing I'd want is peacock crapping on me from the next seat!!!

The other thing is the money issue, airlines are claiming that people are claiming these are emotional support animals to get out of paying the $75-$100 up charge. I read that Delta alone transports in excess of 250,00 a year in this country.

Then, like all thing, you have a few individuals who will ruin it for all that truly need a support animal, by bringing wild, crazy things on as "support animals". I mean seriously, if they can't travel without a menagerie or forest critters, or farm animals, they might want to consider other forms of transport.

I read that there was a panel of federal regulators and airlines empowered last year to develop a set of regulations, which are sorely needed, but there has not been an accord. At the least I think if there are new regulations, you will see severe limitations on the types of animals that can fly in the cabin, require documentation on the animal (verification of need from doctor, training and health certifications on the animal)and likely have to pay for those that are allowed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back