Emulating Silver Textures on Digital B&W

Shutterbug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Recently, I've been shooting a lot of images on my digital camera that look much, much better in Black and White. Normally I would reshoot all those things using traditional silver Black and White film, but not only can I not afford a roll of it, ($15.00 a roll, I'm a broke teenager) but the store I buy it from is out, and won't have any in stock for several weeks.

So, What I want to know is, is there a way to get that silver grain effect on a digital image? (Like a photoshop filter or technique) It would save me bundles of money, because for B&W shots that don't need that cool texture, I just use that crappy C-41 B&W stuff that kodak makes, which is about 5 bucks for 4 rolls.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Shutterbug said:
...but not only can I not afford a roll of it, ($15.00 a roll, I'm a broke teenager) but the store I buy it from is out, and won't have any in stock for several weeks.
That's rather expensive film you're buying! Your local store is really ripping you off, I would look at ordering online if there's nowhere else to buy it.

- Chris

Bob_McBob said:
Shutterbug said:
...but not only can I not afford a roll of it, ($15.00 a roll, I'm a broke teenager) but the store I buy it from is out, and won't have any in stock for several weeks.
That's rather expensive film you're buying! Your local store is really ripping you off, I would look at ordering online if there's nowhere else to buy it.

- Chris

But from where? I've never been able to find very good deals anywhere :\

It depends on the film your buying. If its Kodak HIE 15 dollars is the going price in a store.

To get grain in camera simply up the ISO. A high enough ISO will get you all the grain you can handle. ;) There are ways to add it in photoshop as well with filters. I use paint shop pro so I don't know the exact filter etc.

My camera has a "tone compesation" setting. One of the options is added contrast. Using this with the camera on b&w mode replicates a true b&w film photo. And with a high ISO, it's grainy to boot.

Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back