emulsion lifts... weeeeeeeeeee!

GerryDavid said:
Hey Carlita and everyone else that reads this.

I bought a poleroid digital camera last week at a yard sale to try this out with *$0.50 Canadian, haggled down from $1, hehe*, but I hear *maybe here, perhaps somewhere else* that this doesnt work with the newer poleroid films, and I wanted to make sure before I spent to much money on a 10 pack. What film is the right type to buy from poleroid for this?

Also where did you buy the different types of paper? I cant think of any stores around here that would have rice paper.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

A Polaroid digital camera...? :scratch: I don't keep up with much in the way of digital and I've never heard of one. Is this a digital camera with a Polaroid back?

Either way, the film you want to try emulsion lifts or image transfers is type 669 - there are others (generally speaking, any Polaroid film that ends with a 9 has the correct emulsion formula) but this is a smaller size and easy to practice with while you're learning. It's not a "new film", so you might be fine.

What you need to find out is whether or not your camera will accept type 669 film. Then you're good to go.

btw, what Carli tried here with the rice paper is not a paper I'd recommend when just starting out learning this technique. She's done it several times and the paper was experimental. Go to any arts supply store and pick up an inexpensive pack of 140# watercolor paper. Hot pressed is generally preferable because it's smoother, but for learning the technique cold-pressed is fine, and on some images looks really cool because of its added texture. You may find the rice paper there, as well, but there's little point in adding the challenge of dealing with this thin paper and becoming needlessly frustrated. Go have fun!! :D

Umm, erase the digital part out of that, hehe. Im so use to typing digital, soryr about that. Its just a regular poleroid camera. The film sort, hehe. It doesnt look new or anything.

Thanks for the advice. :0)

I only know of one store around here that sellls poleroid film, which is Costco, in 40 packs. I didnt see any in walmart, just wondering if anyone has any ideas of stores that still caries the film. Preferably a Canadian store but I do go to the states regularly.

Walmart doesn't have Polaroid film? Hmmm....I would think KMart, Target but then again I would've thought Walmart, too. We use polaroid with grid marks on it at work but we get it at a camera shop and I haven't paid attention to what else they carry.

Are you anywhere near Sarnia? I'm a Michigander.

Nope, not near sarnia. Im closer to Ottawa than Toronto.

Walmart did have poleroid 35mm film, but none of the other that I seen. Then again this isnt a larger walmart, so next time im in the city Ill try to check there. I try to avoid blacks photography cuz thier usually more expensive, but I may give them a look and price them. Same for Henry's. Thsoe are the only 2 camera stores that I know of in Canada.

And since im thinking of it, what are the names of the camera stores in the states, the chain ones.

My fiance has some really cool polaroid lifts that I wanted to share. Her photography can be found at www.sargentphotos.com. By

Picture 1 of a theatre in Austin:
World%20Center1_thumb.jpg

Picture 2 of the same theatre:
World%20Center2_thumb.jpg

Hope you all enjoy the pictures! :)

Kunitz: These are very nice lifts; she should be proud of these. You should start a new thread when posting new images, to make sure they don't get lost in the shuffle. :D

Gerry: when in doubt, go to B&H Photo-video online. :wink: They have a complete Polaroid film section, and reasonable prices. Go git 'um!

I think I'm going to delete my account here. In the few days that I've been a member I've had serious urges to by a Holga and now a Polaroid camera. I hate to think what I might have to buy next.:shock: :mrgreen:

Perhaps a silly question, but... Is there a quick and easy way to know what type of film a certain Polaroid camera can take? I know nothing about Polaroid cameras so don't know if 669 works in all of them, or just some or whatever. I've checked eBay for Polaroid cameras and there are loads going cheap, but obviously the listers aren't very helpful. Searching (I use Copernic) doesn't seem to help.

Most reactions

Back