Emulsion Lifts

Karalee said:
Emulsion Lifts

Polaroid is one of my favorite sites!

I love the Polaroid site, too. :D But I really don't care for these abbreviated how-to's, I find something technically incorrect with all of them, it seems. :wink:

In this case, it blows my mind that they say "tap water" when their own consultants, when quoted or consulted by alternative process writers, always say to use distilled water. Everyone's tap water contains varying degrees of ph, we commonly don't go about testing it, either. So as a rule it is advised to just use distilled water, with a neutral ph and no minerals or acidity.

So that's my immediate two cents. :wink:

Hi photoguy, the rest of the basic procedure is fine as outlined by Polaroid, but if you haven't already, check out all the "emulsion" threads here in this forum for more tips and techniques. Any specific questions you have that aren't answered here, just fire away!!!

Karalee said:
:-? I didnt know that bout tap water - weve got a soft water filtration system, d'ya think that would make it worse?

You're simply trying to use water that has a neutral ph. That's why a jug of distilled water is the best solution. I've read about how to test your tap water's ph level, I believe it was using Litmus paper (??) and how to correct it, either too high or too low, to bring it into a neutral area. Too much work for me when I'm trying to be creative. :wink: And with a jug of distilled water available for a buck, why not be on the safe side? I use it for the vinegar bath solution for my transfers, too. Part of the reason for the vinegar bath is to restore ph to the dyes, since the act of prematurely separating the film disrupts it. It's important for long term stability of the image.

I pretty much just use it for all things Polaroid. :p

Yeah, do some soon and post 'em, Kara, your last one of the bridge was way cool. :D

When I pot the polarioid in the water(160 degrees) the photo starts to separate, but the front picture(the part that is on the plastic front which has all of the color) stays on the plastic but separates from the emulsion, so when i can finallly peel off the emulsion it is a washed out almost whits peicture... does anyone know what im doing wrong??

If someone can please send me pictures of the process... :?

It's best to start with 669 film. Very user-friendly size. And Kara is right to question your film type - you don't have 690 or 600 in that water, do you? There's no telling what it'll do.

Can you scan what you ended up with?

If you have 669 and you've put some vinyl adhesive (like Contac paper) on the back, it should lift by itself after a few minutes at that temperature (which is correct).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back