End of Day Portrait, Need Advice

vonDrehle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a shot I got today when we were bored. It was taken near the end of the day so the lighting was really tough to work with. I used a fill flash to try and compensate it but as you can see it still came out pretty dark, and some of here hair is blueish gray. Is there anything I could have done different in these conditions? I also shot in RAW and tired to play with the white balance afterwards but having never done so it was just kind of trial and error. The image after some photoshop work is posted under the original.

The picture is also on dA. http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47451912/

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 5D
Shutter Speed: 1/49 second
F Number: F/4.0
Focal Length: 40 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Original
1-smalloriginal.jpg

Photoshoped (Just for reference.)
1-small.jpg

Thanks, Chris

End of day light is so much better than midday. I would have put her in the light, with the sun out over either your right or left shoulder a bit. You can shoot in the shade to avoid direct light, especially midday, but then it's usually good not to have any sunlit areas in the image at all. It will make the shade look cold and flat.

Your picture represents a lot of potential for post-edit correction. It can easily be salvaged. It has great potential.

PS: Nice Gallary--I enjoyed viewing it.

Gold reflector would capture the warm colors. She looks lit by a different light (flash).

Most reactions

Back