Engagement C&C Please

jpticar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This past weekend was my first real engagement shoot that I did for a friend and any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
They all appear to be underexposed on my monitor...

As far as composition and framing is concerned:

1. I am not a huge fan of this pose. It's nice that she's making eye contact with the camera, but it looks like the man is either dead or asleep.

2. Same goes for this one, the female is making direct eye contact with the camera, and the man is looking off into the distance. His head is also way too far towards the edge of the frame. If this were to be printed, I'd expect part of his head to get chopped.

3. A nice shot of the ring, however the moment is lost due to it being out of focus. The guy is facing away from the camera, and makes it less impactful.

Do you have any photos where they are both looking at the camera? Or any other photos at all?

I like them. I like the moment that's captured in the first one, I don't think the groom to be looks dead or asleep, just enjoying his time with his loved one. The last one, I like that the ring is in focus and everything else is blurred. I'm a fan of that style.

Yeah, the composition can be better.. etc. etc. etc. But you really need to work on the edit. I am 100% sure these photos can be improved so much with better processing.

Did you shoot it with JPEG? The last one you posted is even worse IMO.

Also, I didn't notice before, but your exposure compensation was set to -2. Universally underexposing your shots throughout the set. I'd change that, asap.

Sorry, but I think what you need to do is to offer them a re-shoot. As mentioned the exposure is off; shooting in Program with a -2 EC is not a recipe for success. There's only one shot where you have included all of his in head, and nowhere do we see them looking at each other. The fourth image is a nice shot of a tree... Take a couple of days and review composition theory, look over the engagement galleries from more experienced local photographers and ensure that you thoroughly check your gear. Learn and clearly understand what the different exposure modes do and when best to use them. As well remember to ensure that you discuss clothing with clients at your pre-shoot consult. Unless there's a good reason, suggest that they avoid wearing black or white clothings, and opt for choices that will look good, and contrast nicely with your intended environment.

Composition is not all there in any of these pictures. The groom to be doesn't seem to be in any of these pictures. Not looking. Alway the back of his head or half of his head. I agree with the retake. Except you don't want to post your other pictures taken.

Engagement pictures are all about the moment. And capturing that moment. Everything here seems forced. The guy is not involved. Or does he even want to be there. I'm not as experienced on engagement photos but I know I wouldn't want these pictures if they were of me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back