Engagement photos on an overcast day

graphite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a couple that decided at the last minute to do engagement photos. I got a call about an hour before the guy was going to propose to his girlfriend and said he wanted photos done. The day was overcast with intermittent snow. They didn't want a bunch of lighting or anything so that it was quick and simple. Could I get some C&C on this photo so I can improve? this photo looks dark and green on my laptop but looks normal on my external monitor.

$CE_S.jpg

Last edited:
My recommendation for improvement is next time take control of the shoot and some control of the lighting, or tell the subjects they will need to find another photographer.
Was this a paid shoot, or gratis?

At a minimum you could have used a hand held off camera flash unit for fill, separation, better light quality, and better light direction. Notice how dark his eye sockets are.
Both are kind of reddish, but that's likely because it was cold.
If you used a gray card, you could use that post process to adjust the white balance.

It looks great! Nice job :)

I had a couple that decided at the last minute to do engagement photos. I got a call about an hour before the guy was going to propose to his girlfriend and said he wanted photos done. The day was overcast with intermittent snow. They didn't want a bunch of lighting or anything so that it was quick and simple. Could I get some C&C on this photo so I can improve? this photo looks dark and green on my laptop but looks normal on my external monitor.

I love the emotion in the photo, well done in keeping them comfortable, and kudos for responding quickly to a potentially tricky situation.

That said, I agree with Keith, taking a little more control and pushing for even just a single speedlight would have really helped. The only nit pick I'd make is that I agree with you, to my eyes, her face appears somewhat green. Can't say I've ever seen that before. Did you adjust the tint of the image?

I like the picture. . The smile are the expressions address nice.
On my phone note 3 it does show a green tint. .
Honestly didn't really look at the dark eyes. . That's learning for me too :)

Santosh Rane

I like it! I like the tone and everything about the photo. I personally like shooting in overcast days or when the sun is not to high up, when it's hard to control lighting coz it will be too hard on the subjects. But, then when it's overcast there can be a lot of shadows, but i personally like shadows on my subjects at times since it adds "emotion", i think.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back