Engagement pic with fake background

wxnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dougraflikphotography.com
Im begining to realize that what photographers hate, the clients will love so I am expecting a lot of "it looks bad" replies on here, but I wanted to share anyway. This will be givin to the clients as a bonus, in addition to the "normal" pictures. I was just playing around with some things in Photoshop and came up with this...

kimeditheartsmall.jpg

I don't mind it too much although I might have gone into the layer style and made it pop out (sort of slight 3d).

I don't like it, but not sure how to help you other than maybe make the Heart and background diff colors,,see how it impacts the image

I guess when I see a Heart I expect to see Red, maybe I am to shallow

Hi! I liked the image. But what's really important is the the client approves. Not too many people are in favor of fake backgrounds. If the couple in question like it, you're all set. Otherwise, stick to naturals. People are sensitive about important engagement pictures.

hmmm... I think the background is really on the "cute" side, but I don't feel it's fighting the with the subjects. I'm more concerned about posing and lighting.

I see some modeling on the faces, but the image has an overall flat feeling to it. What's causuing the lower catch light on the left? Do you have a light down that low?

The pose has their heads (eyes, mouths) at virtually the same level, creating nearly horizontal lines. I want to move him up in the frame a bit.

The clothing is good. You're getting good expressions.... seems natural.

A real nit pick... pull the necklace from behind to move the pendant further up and away from the collar.

All-in-all... a fun portrait! Good goin', Doug.

Pete

Understood about the horizontal lines. Good point. As far as the flat feeling. How do I avoid this? I guess I dont see it, but if you can point out what you are seeing, and how to avoid it to make my pictures better, that would be great.

I guess I do have a light that low. Is that bad? I have the one on the right higher and the one on the left lower so as to not get shadows under the nose, and to shine some light up into the eye sockets to lighten them up. Is there a down side to doing this?

Thanks for the help.

Doug

OK... I took a closer look. It seems you're getting nearly the same amount of power from both lights. If anything, the "lower" light seems to be just a bit brighter. The higher lamp on the right should be about a stop brighter than the other. This will give shape to your subjects. As for having the fill down low... no problem with these people, but you'll have some problems with anyone wearing glasses.

I hope this helps.

Pete

More than you can imagine. Thanks a ton Pete.

So is that a general rule of thumb that the higher the lights the less glare from glasses, because that has been a problem in the past for me.

Doug

More than you can imagine. Thanks a ton Pete.

So is that a general rule of thumb that the higher the lights the less glare from glasses, because that has been a problem in the past for me.

Doug

Ever play pool? Think of it like a bank shot. Light travels in straight lines. So if the angle is too slight, the light will "bounce" right at the camera. Raising the lamps will cause the direct refection to fall below the lens. Of course, other things happen too... like those shadows you were concerned with.

You could add a shadow behind the couple to add some depth into the shot.

In Photoshop:
Duplicate the layer that contains the couple. Control Click that layer (selecting only the couple) and paint it all black. Move the Black layer underneath the Couple layer then add some Gauissian Blur (you'll need more or less depending on the resolution of the image). After that, move the Black layer slightly off to the side, matching your drop shadow. You can adjust the opacity on the Black layer a bit to make it more realistic but it should look like a pretty decent shadow.

Just something to play with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back