Engagement Portrait

errant_star

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenkanderson.com
This is my sister and her fiance (soon to be husband in 2 weeks). Her original photog. backed out on her about 3 weeks ago ... she just found another woman but there was not enough time to book an engagement session before the wedding ... I volunteered so that they could have a photo for their newspaper announcement.

I'm looking for critique and tips on the lighting, their positioning relative to one another and the camera and the crop (do their legs looked to chopped off?) and anything else that comes to mind

Canon 20D
50mm
Aperture-Priority AE
Shutter Speed - 1/800
Aperature - 1.8
ISO - 200

loni_andrew_7.sized.jpg

Thanks

IMG_3375-01.gif

-Seems to be a bit much room between their heads and the top of the photo and also between them and the the left of the photo

-Looks maybe a tad soft...

-The woman looks fine IMO, but the guys eyes almost seem to be closed, and the shirt sleeve is rolled up which is picky but I keep staring at it :lol:

-If this shot is for the newspaper, I would say that you really would just need a tight close up of the couple, right now there just seems to be too much negative space IMO

eromallagadnama said:
-If this shot is for the newspaper, I would say that you really would just need a tight close up of the couple, right now there just seems to be too much negative space IMO

I'd agree. Just had a look through my local newspaper at all the weddings and announcements & they all seem to be closely cropped and cut at about waist level. Never really noticed them before either!:lol:

That's a very wide appeture for the depth of those 2 people. Plus there's a bit of shadows that need to be lightened - especially if for a black and white print. PSE 3 does wonders for shadows and highlights. I'd suggest an f3 for that shot. Nice poses, expressions on their faces

Look at my version: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4298510&a=31744488&p=72180798

*Edited by administrator - Please refrain from posting SPAM in your replies and see your PM*

I realize you are not a professional photographer and I don't expect you to know any of the things I am going to share with you, but I've been a pro for a long time and here is what I see. First of all the background is wonderful as is the exposure and the expressions. I love all of these, BUT:

Neither are standing correctly. In standing portraits the weight should be on the rear hip and back foot. This gives a pleasing tilt to the body, and slenderizes the hips. The lighting while not too terribly bad, is lacking. they both have 'raccoon eyes' because there is more light coming from above than from the side. I never show more than two hands in this type of portrait as it is distracting, and always have your subjects remove large intrusive wrist watches. Lastly, the man has his head tipped to the feminine shoulder. NEVER tip a man's head to the feminine shoulder because he will look feminine, and 99.999% of men, gay or straight don't want to look feminine. I believe this is why most men hate to be photographed.

Tally Ho

You've gotten a lot of good advice here. Since the other areas have already been covered I'll comment on the crop (the question you had about if their legs look cut off). If it's meant for the newspaper you'll want to crop so that you focus on their faces, perhaps to just under her fiance's hands and just above his head. A reflector or fill flash would do wonders for the shadows on the faces.

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions everyone ... I appreciate the help. :mrgreen:

This shot itself isn't the one that was intended for the newspaper but this one was a shot that I liked and wanted to be able to improve for the next time. And now hopefully I can thanks to you guys!!

Just a stupid question on an aside ... when using a reflector in this type of situation would you just set it up on a tripod or something?

Thanks again

errant_star said:
Just a stupid question on an aside ... when using a reflector in this type of situation would you just set it up on a tripod or something?

I think that the easiest thing would be to have someone else hold it for you...like an assistant. In a pinch, a child or even a stranger passing by could hold a reflector for a few shots.

Nice work, Jen.

To add to the advice above, I would suggest a bit more discussion about clothing selection for your next session. I usually advise colors that will photograph at least as deep as skin tones, advoiding bold patterns an prints. Long sleeves are often better.

And, do a bit of retouching. Lighten the shadows under your sis's eyes.

Finally, add a bit of vignetting.

I think you have the "softness" just right. Great expressions! Cute couple.

-Pete

Nice pose, perhaps a little too much background though, maybe you wanna crop it a bit
Personally I like the way they are standing. Romantic portraits should look natural so they portray the peoples personality and not just their looks. But the lighting is a little dark, but alot of the issues with this photo can be solved in photoshop.

Thanks Pete and DramaDork.

I was a little unsure of what to have them wear and then in the direction of them in terms of poses and where to look etc.

I think it was worse though because they are family and most family figures they have the right to tease me and give me a hard time :roll: Sisters ... sheesh!
But thanks to all definately ... I'll keep your suggestions in mind next time around!

:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back