Engagement Session C&C

How about all the egos get put away and the attention turns back to the photos?

Why’s that again? Because you can’t do it without making yourself the center of attention?

Because my thought process is different than most people. Beautiful photos are a dime a dozen, anyone with a camera can turn out beautiful photos. When your clients dream to be in your photos, then you know you're doing something great. Most photographers just want to take beautiful photos. I want to make people dream about being in my photos. My advice and critique to others are within that thought process. However you want to take that is up to you. :)

Last edited:
Her stance just doesn't look right from the side angle. I think it's because both legs are blending into one?

I noticed this in the 2nd and last, I don't think it's anything Destin did or didn't do necessarily, but it almost appears as if the lady's knees are bent backward. I guess it wouldn't show as much if it were a front view, or she was in a dress below the knees. Honestly I never would have caught it while I was shooting, but that's why I'm still a hobbyist.

Destin - you're ignoring free advice from a very popular, successful and talented wedding and engagement photographer. I think that's foolish. If you post and ask for critique, take it gracefully and then use it or don't. Saying I'll agree to disagree and then insulting the person who gave you the advice is really rude.

we'll see about the popular, successful, and talented part... but this is generally why I avoid giving out advice.

Why’s that again? Because you can’t do it without making yourself the center of attention?

This is par for the course and one of the reasons I don't come here often anymore.

Well, that is some good solid closure!

Moving on, now...

Fricking train wreck of a thread...poor behavior on the part of two people here...

Hey all, I had engagement session yesterday with my cousin Jaden and his fiancé Kerry. I’m liking them, but also think I’m struggling to be objective because of my relationship with them. Don’t be afraid to give me honest feedback, I can handle it.

These are just the first four edits I’ve gotten done, there will be more to come eventually:

1.)
i-mV9ddwN-XL.jpg

2.)
i-smJKHjr-XL.jpg

3.)
i-gQgWqjg-XL.jpg

4.)
i-kzdwMcd-XL.jpg
I came here looking for an interesting thread about feedback and all I've come away with is the word "LOL"....

I really like the first one Destin, you've caught both their own personal smiles really well in that shot, agree with the woman being slightly dark, but I'm sure you can fix that.

Not a fan of the 2nd, but get the idea with the road. even if I do like the sun setting in the background.

I think the last one is better than no.2, I think she looks sexy (can I say that?) her hair looks better and the colour of the dress.

honestly, I think this is a great set.
#1 could use a little tweaking, but its nothing major or unfixable in post.
#3 is a great ring shot... that's a pro shot. all day, err day.
there are a few things i would have done differently here. most of it just personal preference...
#1 i would have cropped tall. just me.
#2 i would have cropped in a little more. again, just me. i dont like that much room up top.
I might have dropped the red channel in #3 just a hair to see what it looked like.
normally i might say crop more in #4, but as i look at it i think keeping more of the walkway in the shot is better.

overall this is a very nice set. i have no doubt that the couple will be pleased with them.
I see nothing here that I would consider a glaring issue, or that would make me consider not showing it to the client.

we all have different ideas on how we feel a photo should look. the two most important things to consider when judging your own end product are
#1 how YOU envisioned the photo.
#2 how the CLIENT envisioned the photo.
if those two things get a thumbs up, then you doing fine.
having said that, dont forget that just because someone else has a different view on how a photo could have been done, it doesnt mean that you cant incorporate their suggestions and improve your work.

Most reactions

Back