Engagement Session Photos.

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey everyone i just did a engagement session on Sunday. My question is should i pick them best ones i like out of all the photos or should i should let the the client choose which ones they want. i was also wondering should i let the client see non edited photos. i did tell the client that i will provide a cd/dvd with all the images on it so if someone can please let me know how your process is after a photoshoot i would highly appreciate it. Thank you all for your help.

which lens did you prefer ?
The Nikon or Tamron ?

hey astroNikon i rented the Nikon i was very happy with it but i didn't get a chance to fine tune the focusing with the d7000 but the images did come out great i wish i would of rented the tamron because of the VC it was cold that day and we were next to the water and i was shaking a little bit because it was so cold so the VC would of helped me out alot i will post the images in other part of this forum. thank you

My question is should i pick them best ones i like out of all the photos or should i should let the the client choose which ones they want.

If your skills are like mine, you're going to have some shots that are just garbage. I would never show them to anybody, let alone a paying customer. Go through the set and discard any and all that are just too embarrassing to show to anyone before you show the client any of the "keepers".

As to "non-edited", I might not show them, but it might depend on how much editing you have to do. Personally, I would straighten, crop, and adjust for proper exposure and WB before showing them, but maybe that's just me.

thank you designer i do have some shots that i will not show them and i have to throw away like eyes closed etc i use photoshop so i might just batch all the good images and go threw them one by one and then show the clients and then go back in and do some more editing like hair removal people remove etc is that what you are trying to say.

thank you designer i do have some shots that i will not show them and i have to throw away like eyes closed etc i use photoshop so i might just batch all the good images and go threw them one by one and then show the clients and then go back in and do some more editing like hair removal people remove etc is that what you are trying to say.

My clients never see unedited images. I cull through all of them, select anywhere between 15 to 60 (shoot dependent), edit those, upload a teaser to Facebook, make a blog post with the best 5-8, then setup a gallery with all my choices, and let the client choose which 15 they want. [emoji106]

D-B-J that was a great great help that is what i'm going to do thank you so much.

hey everyone i just did a engagement session on Sunday. My question is should i pick them best ones i like out of all the photos or should i should let the the client choose which ones they want. i was also wondering should i let the client see non edited photos. i did tell the client that i will provide a cd/dvd with all the images on it so if someone can please let me know how your process is after a photoshoot i would highly appreciate it. Thank you all for your help.
My process is: cull the dogs, process 2-3 (hopefully) images from each pose/set and meet the client either in-studio (or preferably) at their home and review the images either using their television set or large-screen laptop and take a print order. Giving the client "all" the images in digital format is a sure way to make absolutely no money at all.

My process is: cull the dogs, process 2-3 (hopefully) images from each pose/set and meet the client either in-studio (or preferably) at their home and review the images either using their television set or large-screen laptop and take a print order. Giving the client "all" the images in digital format is a sure way to make absolutely no money at all.

I think clientele is important to keep in mind. While I realize giving digital files limits your income, I've found almost all of my clients (typically below 30) have little to no interest in prints. So I just charge x and give them z amount of files and let them purchase more files or prints. Maybe I'm less concerned about forcing prints because I don't do this for the money (as in its not my main job).

Properly presented, prints can be highly desired. Show your clients a "book" with 8x10 prints and they will each want one of their own.

I think clientele is important to keep in mind. While I realize giving digital files limits your income, I've found almost all of my clients (typically below 30) have little to no interest in prints. So I just charge x and give them z amount of files and let them purchase more files or prints. Maybe I'm less concerned about forcing prints because I don't do this for the money (as in its not my main job).

I've found the same. I do tend to give a print of my persona favorite as a thank you for now, but plan to discontinue that process as I get busier. A nice 8x10 print costs me next to nothing, and so far, my clients love it since I don't really tell them until they open it up.

There's actually another, much more (IMO) important reason: Prints last. Joe & Jane Q. Public typicaly do not have redundant data back-ups or other safeguards. They have a million files jammed into "My Pictures" on their home PC and if (or more likely when) that dies, *poof* everything is gone. Short of a fire or other catastrophe, prints are much more likely to last a long time, AND... "Do you really want to have to turn on your computer to show your family & friends your wedding photos?"

People are used to digital files, because they're so prevalent, but I've found that when I show people a professionally printed large print or gallery wrap, all of a sudden they start to rethink their "I just want digital files" idea. I realize that not everyone is going to buy into the idea, but when it's put to the client in an approrpriate way, you'd be surprised how well it works out.

If you want to make money in this business you will SELL what you SHOW your clients.

If you put a stunning wedding album in your couples' lap, at the wedding consultation, you are far more likely to sell them an album--and make lots more money than the shoot-n-burners.

If you have large framed prints and/ or canvas wraps and stand-out mounts displayed ( we have displayed: 1-30x50", 1-30x40", 3-24x30", 2-20x24", 2-16x20", plus some custom sized clusters--and this is just in our SALES, PRESENTATION, ROOM ) you will sell them!

At the same time you are providing a priceless service ( see tirediron's post ) by creating a family heirloom that will out last ALL electronic devices and media including DVDs.

But you must also EDUCATE your clients about what a true archive is and the value of having these products available for them to enjoy all the time.

First, I have to ask.....what does your contract say that you will deliver to the clients?
Because really, whatever your contract says is what you are obligated to deliver.
second, never....and I mean never show clients unedited images. only show clients your finished product.
Third, I don't really understand the "deliver ALL images on disk" thing. Pick a number for your package deal and that's how many images you should deliver. "ALL" images is vague, at best. Did the clients count how many times you clicked the shutter? Are they expecting all the bad images along with the good? Will you give them 20 pictures of basically the same shot?

If you don't have a clear and concise layout of exactly what you will be delivering in the contract, the clients can easily be confused as to what they should be expecting. Confused clients can quickly become angry clients.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back