english or american?

What's really funny is when Americans try to act like they understand football. You know... the proper kind, that they call soccer.

Case in point...

Beckham gets a knock like a bear kiss on the doorstep but bulldogs his man before uncorking it.

What on earth is that about???!!! :D

Apparently... a 'knock like a bear kiss' is a tackle that looks worse than it is; 'on the doorstep' means in front of goal; 'bulldogging' is showing determination to win back the ball; and 'uncorking it' is to unleash a powerful shot.

Yeah... whatever... :)

One of the editors I work with is from london (or something). She says cheers a lot. I understand what she is getting at, but it drives me up a wall. I also listen to a lot of podcasts from Hospital Records out of London. Every other word is wicked.

I doubt that was the response you were looking for. I love our brothers across the pond. I just had to get it off my chest. And I spell colour. It is just too beautiful of a word to be color.

Love & Bass

Does any other that Yorkshire folk use the term "petal" as a term of endearment

Do Californian beach boys still have the silent "p" in swimming.

I've heard that in the Big Apple is still occurs in Bath, shower and bathing!

Check the difference between the English/American meaning of "jumper" when referring to an article of clothing....in the UK it's a sweater but one of the USA meanings is a small girls dress.
I wondered why when I came back after mentioning I was going to put on my jumper that everyone was staring with great interest that rapidly turned to disappointment!
FYI, the squash (gourd) is sometimes called a "marrow" in the UK.

Check the difference between the English/American meaning of "jumper" when referring to an article of clothing....in the UK it's a sweater but one of the USA meanings is a small girls dress.

Huh, did not know that at all!

I don't wear either though ;)

Does any other that Yorkshire folk use the term "petal" as a term of endearment

Around the East Midlands the equivalent is 'chuck' and in Leicestershire it's 'me duck'.
Where I live 'the old boy' is how you refer to your younger brother.

I heard they call it tonic in the Northeast.
It's called "tonic" when it has quinine in it, a remnant of the British Raj in India.
They used to take quinine to ward off malaria but it's very bitter so they put it in the soda water and then added gin, hence the origin of a gin and tonic.
One meaning of tonic is something that improves ones health and the quinine did just that.

The fun explaining to younger American nieces that the must refer to their "fanny packs" as bum bags in the UK. Plenty of giggles when their old uncle tried to explain why without embarasing their mother!

The fun explaining to younger American nieces that the must refer to their "fanny packs" as bum bags in the UK. Plenty of giggles when their old uncle tried to explain why without embarasing their mother!

reminds me of that scene in The Office. which i wont repeat here : )

Most reactions

Back