Enlarger too bright?

ace4994

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use a color enlarger (Saunders/LPL 67D Dichroic Color) to make B/W prints. At f/16, I'm having to toe the line of 2 seconds exposure for a bit washed out, and 3 seconds being too much. This obviously gives me no time to dodge/burn, so I was wondering what I can do to fix this. I've read something about using the magenta and yellow filters, but when I turn them, there is no visible change. Is that normal? I tried to make a print with both of the dials set to 90, but at f/11 and 5 seconds, the image came out way almost black.

OP
A

ace4994

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Printing on Adorama variable grade RC paper.

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
but when I turn them, there is no visible change. Is that normal?

You should see a visible change in the light when you turn those dials ... if not, then it needs repair.

>> I think Ann (below) has the right answer >>

Last edited:

ann

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
You need to engage the filter pack, there should be a switch either on the side or on the front of the enlarger. Sounds as if you are just using the white light function which is great for focusing

Baybers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I don't know your particular enlarger so I'm not sure if these suggestions will work - install a smaller watt bulb or install a neutral density filter between the light source and lens. I have done both on my old Meopta and they work a treat when exposure times are too short.

Most reactions

New Topics