enlargers a question

Tballphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Saw on emulsive website an article by a man who built his own enlarger system. The only thing that wasnt built into it was a spot for a grain focuser or filter set.

He used a regular camera lens to do it. That makes me ask a simple question.

What genuinely would be hindrances in making basic prints of bw negatives if i simply took an ugly functional 20$ 35mm camera off of fleabuy and tossed it on a tripod, flipped it to point down, popped the back open, and threw my scanners film holder on it with a light source in a box on top?

Versus spending 400$ plus shipping on a beselar cadet II and trying to modify a lens board to use a longer lens when i want to try 120 film in it?

Saw on emulsive website an article by a man who built his own enlarger system. The only thing that wasnt built into it was a spot for a grain focuser or filter set.

He used a regular camera lens to do it. That makes me ask a simple question.

What genuinely would be hindrances in making basic prints of bw negatives if i simply took an ugly functional 20$ 35mm camera off of fleabuy and tossed it on a tripod, flipped it to point down, popped the back open, and threw my scanners film holder on it with a light source in a box on top?

Versus spending 400$ plus shipping on a beselar cadet II and trying to modify a lens board to use a longer lens when i want to try 120 film in it?

Back in the good old days cameras often served double duty as enlargers. Think about old bellows style cameras. When I was a starving artist I built my first view camera from old enlarger parts. When my finances allowed me to move on I gave the "joedorf" to a friend who turned it into an enlarger.

joedorf.jpg

Worst kept secret in photography is that an enlarger is just a camera with the light projected in reverse.

Worst kept secret in photography is that an enlarger is just a camera with the light projected in reverse.
worst kept secret in photography is actually that being in focus matters

Enlarger lenses are designed for flat field focus.
Many macro lenses are also optically designed this way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back