Enlarging and framing OOOOOld family pictures

MizzouSue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, I'm Sue. I'm getting ready to enlarge and frame some very old family photos. I'm almost as old as they are! I have scanned most of them and they are on my computer. However, I want to have some of them enlarged from 8x10 or smaller to 12 x16. Obviously I can't do this on my computer. I've gone to a print shop which has done very good work for me in the past and a frame shop which is also good but one of the owners is a bit on the snippy side. I've found that when enlarging photographs they use poster board or card stock. This has worked well for an old album I was donating to a museum but the photo I now want to enlarge is a 1920's wedding photo of my mother. What to do? The frame I want to use is also vintage and has a bubble glass that goes with it. It somehow seems foolish to frame a photo on card stock but, what do I know? Obviously nada. Any suggestions?

Perhaps I should reword my question. Is it common practice for professional framers and printers to use card stock or poster board when they enlarge pictures?

I don't think so... but these days who knows.

Try taking a look at someplace like Archival products for storage of artwork / custom picture framing in Rochester NY just to give you some idea about professional matting and framing. I do my own mostly and have bought archival materials from them.

It might be an option to send out to a lab to print your scans (Lumiere does that although I haven't done one thru them yet). So does a gallery called Lightbox in Astoria, OR; I've had photos accepted into juried exhibits they've held and had one of mine printed by them and it turned out beautifully. I emailed in the digital file and they enlarged and printed from that. It was originally a B&W film photo I did in the darkroom and wanted a nice digital copy of it.

You might need to do some research and see what are some options. If you have a lot to do you might need to find a place that does what you need in your budget. I've been doing a fine art print here and there so it may cost more but I'm only getting one done at a time and for the most part, print and mat myself.

There are places that print from your digital file and should be able to adjust to the size you want. Maybe if you find a place to try think about just having one made and see how it turns out before you get more done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back