Entering these photos in an art fair; how's my editing?

I like #3 it has a great sence of mystery and abandonment. It makes the viewer feel that there is a story behind the photo. The b&w adds to that effect as well. Great shot.

^ Those edits are a big improvement, but still a pretty obvious halo around the roof of the house. IMO I wouldn't enter the first one without at least a good edit on it, it kinda drags down the other three photos, which are really quite good.

Thanks, I agree.

Well not really. With PS you get the ability to edit with layers/blending/masks/etc, and that is where you really dig into a photo.
With LR you should work from the top to bottom, and I would suggest avoiding the saturation and vibrance section. If you want to enhance the colors skip down to HSL and adjust the colors there individually, along with the luminance.
If you are going for a more contrast driven, kind of HDR feel, colorful photo; then you can adjust your tone curve setting to mid or high contrast instead of linear, and go from there.

Maybe something like this:
Done in LR4 beta
http://dominantly.smugmug.com/photos/i-CZCNBhh/0/L/i-CZCNBhh-L.jpg

Thanks for the advice! Eventually, I will get more serious with my post processing and invest in Photoshop.

6758175131_42a903ff31_b.jpg

I like your edit, but I fell like the colors are slightly washed out. However, it is more natural looking.

I like #3 it has a great sence of mystery and abandonment. It makes the viewer feel that there is a story behind the photo. The b&w adds to that effect as well. Great shot.
Thank you very much! This is my personal favorite too.

You can also you Topaz 5 which has HDR settings that you can use in case you don't take multiple exposures of a shot. I have had great success with it although I don't do too much HDR.

You can even do a 30 day trial to see if you like it.

jaicatalano said:
You can also you Topaz 5 which has HDR settings that you can use in case you don't take multiple exposures of a shot. I have had great success with it although I don't do too much HDR.

You can even do a 30 day trial to see if you like it.

Sounds good. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

#1 I hate how the sky looks in this photo. I used the in-camera HDR feature (Nikon D5100). I tried my best to make it look more natural but no luck :x. Dilapidated by nico418, on Flickr
There's your problem. Cameras are for capturing photos, not editing them.
Yeah, I realize that now. I just haven't invested in any HDR software yet.

I've done a few manually. Put your shots into a single photoshop file as individual layers, and use layer masks to show the best bits of each one. Tricky to do well, but with a bit of practice it can look pretty good. This will work in any program that has layers.

I like the first picture...with the lighter editing. Its kind of a creepy house. Its cool.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back