Enthusiast on Commerical Photography

Pure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Recently my school's girls varsity made it to the state championship, and they won. At the "meet of champions" where the 4 best schools in NJ play each other to see who is really #1.

As I sat down and began to watch the game, I noticed flashes EVERYWHERE. I swear they all had Canon 1D-MIII cameras with 70-200 f/2.8's attached, oy yea and STROBES. 2 Guys had normal hotshoe strobes with external batteries, and 2 of them had stand strobes meant for a studio, those 700 Watt+ ones that can light up the WHOLE gym. I mean comeon, I was just a spectator taking a few shots, but these guys were seriously blinding the players. I'd say atleast 5-10 strobes a minute. I felt like I was having a seizure, and I wasn't playing.

Comeon guys, I got perfectly fine pictures with no strobe on a D90 with a 80-200mm f/2.8 @ ISO 1600. I'll keep my D90 thank you very much. Keep your $5000 D1-MIII's to yourself.

Now this is the question. Do you really need all those strobes to ge a few shots that probably won't sell at all? The event doesn't count for any rankings, just bragging rights I guess. Any pros who want to talk about this, I'm very confused.

Good question. The answer is that quality photography is serious business. Thousands of dollars in gear is peanuts compared to the thousands of dollars put forth by various publications each day. Publishers are counting on those images to drive their media. Said images can be nothing short of spectacular. Fact of the matter is you got perfectly fine images for yourself with your D90. Chances are they would not float in the publishing industry.

Love & Bass

Good question. The answer is that quality photography is serious business. Thousands of dollars in gear is peanuts compared to the thousands of dollars put forth by various publications each day. Publishers are counting on those images to drive their media. Said images can be nothing short of spectacular. Fact of the matter is you got perfectly fine images for yourself with your D90. Chances are they would not float in the publishing industry.

Love & Bass

I know for a fact that one of the guys is one of those annoying as hell online websites meant specifically for high school sports. Why? Because his shirt, jacket, and hat were for the company. One that doesn't get much business. The only ones who are the REAL media were the guys with the stand strobes. The second the game ended, he whipped out his laptop and uploaded them. But still unless the picture is going in a gallery, the newspaper is going to destroy and quality photograph. And they definately weren't from any local magazines.

I can only speak from experience. My experience has been that high school or pro; you always do the best job that you can. Sounds like you have it figured out for your self. In which case I am not seeing the point of your original post.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back