Entire Wedding on X100

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I belong to a Fuji X100 flickr group, and this guy on there has posted some great X100 vacation photos in the past. He has a pretty unique editing style, and he recently shot a wedding ALL on the X100. I personally think he did an amazing job! No, it's not technically perfect, and it's NOT what you can obtain if you had the traditional wedding 'kit'. However IMO he created a very unique group of photos that are truly filled with emotion.
Wedding Photography - Fuji X100 - Brian Kraft Photography

a bunch of them give me the feeling of the wedding i shot with ilford 400 B&W pushed to 1600. I love the look.
but i didn't have an option digital dont work so good with no power DUH... Luckily i was not the actual photographer for that

Seems like the value of the experiment was lost by shooting only in B&W with no flash. It's definitely a different set of wedding pics, but that had very little to do with the choice of camera.

There are a few good shots in there. However most of them are underexposed and blurry with no detail left in the shadows. Too dark and moody for a wedding IMHO.

I saw this the other day, a friend who's doing a 365 project with his x100 told me I had to view it. I have to agree with the above, it's a very unique narrative view of the wedding, i like the b&w style but I still can't get past the blurry and under exposed photos.

I really like them :) Honestly I'd rather have these than half of the people who shoot with a ridiculous kit :lol:

Sometimes the "voyeuristic" quality seems a bit over done (I felt like a serial killer just looking at some of them :p) but for the most part I liked it!

They are somewhat dark and moody, but I think that depends how you look at them. Because there is a fine line between "dark and moody" and "nostalgic" when shooting B & W; and these photos fall on both sides of that line I think :)

Interesting to see the comments, although I am surprised how many of them are positive. Shooting with the X100 is such a pain in the a$$! LOL Which is one of the main reasons I like this series, because it is just so limited. The biggest drawback to using this particular camera for a wedding is it's horrible focus. So considering that he did a good job.

About the "under exposure" people are talking about, I think that's mainly his processing style.

I'm a member of that group too and saw that last week. I personally like them because of how dark and moody they look. Wedding photography is my second least favorite form of photography (baby/kid photos being #1), but these are wedding photos I actually want to look at.

It should be noted that he mentioned he wasn't the main photographer, just tagging along with a friend that was the main apparently..

About the "under exposure" people are talking about, I think that's mainly his processing style.

I don't care if it's his "processing style." It's unfitting for wedding photography.

I don't care if it's his "processing style." It's unfitting for wedding photography.

That's your opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. ;)

Also, I think its quite sad that many people such as yourself feel the need to confine photography and put boundaries on how it's produced. "Wedding photography" is like any other form, it's a type of artistic self expression. Yes it's not the cheesy wedding photography that may appeal to you, but others want a more artistic rendition.

I love my x100. to use it at a wedding as a tag along photog must have been so fun. As for it being "unfitting". It is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I bet there is a couple out there that wants exactly what he produces.

Also, I think its quite sad that many people such as yourself feel the need to confine photography and put boundaries on how it's produced. "Wedding photography" is like any other form, it's a type of artistic self expression. Yes it's not the cheesy wedding photography that may appeal to you, but others want a more artistic rendition.

Yeah, I suppose if the client wanted stripped images devoid of shadow detail and lack of subject matter. They're great in that aspect. As wedding photographs, very few of them shine.

I think it's ironic that people such as yourself find photographs of such a gloomy nature fitting for a joyous day for the majority of those getting married. It's actually disappointing. Very disappointing.

Yeah, I suppose if the client wanted stripped images devoid of shadow detail and lack of subject matter. They're great in that aspect. As wedding photographs, very few of them shine.

I think it's ironic that people such as yourself find photographs of such a gloomy nature fitting for a joyous day for the majority of those getting married. It's actually disappointing. Very disappointing.

As I said; there is a fine line between "gloomy" and nostalgic. The dark and grainy quality makes them appear to be from a "ye olde time" :lol:

So what you see as gloomy, isn't necessarily gloomy to everyone.

Your narrow mindedness is disappointing; very disappointing. ;)

It would be gloomy to 90%+ of brides/grooms looking at the images. I've shot a few weddings in my day, and looked at images from hundreds of weddings. Clients aren't looking for "dark" and "underexposed" shots on their most memorable day.

Most reactions

Back