Entry level camera. Suggestions

NooOb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all

I am Sach, new in this forum. So i wanted to learn photography coz i have always been in love with it but i couldn't afford a good camera so i started taking pictures with my smartphone and editing them to fit more appropriate in colors etc. I v been doing smartphone photography for a few months now and it just made my obsession with photography worse so i m thinking of investing in a camera but i m under a budget (lower than 600$) Since i don't have much knowledge in the subject i ll very much appreciate if any of you experienced folks out here can give me some tips on buying a good entry level camera and any suggestions for such. I have my eye on one which is Nikon D3300 but i m not sure 100% if it's the right fit so any suggestions are welcome.

And below are some shots i captured through my phone. Appreciate your criticism on them too.

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• WP_20141025_005-01.jpeg
    WP_20141025_005-01.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMAG1298-01.jpeg
    IMAG1298-01.jpeg
    699.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Bluelarina.jpeg
    Bluelarina.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
Welcome to the forum. The d3300 you are looking at is excellent, any modern dslr is excellent.

From your photos you seem to shoot more static objects than moving, so maybe a smaller mirrorless camera might also suit.

Pentax do some very good twin kit lens options, that have the advantage of being weather resistant.

If you specify a little more on the type of photography you like and whether or not you like editing a little or a lot you'll get better info here, but off the cuff there's little to fault in the d3300

I'm a Nikon guy so don't know the other brands but the D3300 is a good choice for a start. You can consider a camera a little up the scale but as you're just getting started I'd suggest getting less camera and using the extra money to get a couple of lenses, perhaps a wide range zoom (18 to 130-140) and either a longer 300 or a macro lens for closeup depending on your desired subjects. Usually new DSLR users want to reach out but that's personal preference.

Another vote for the NikonD3300!
I own this camera, excellent camera, its strongest feature is its excellent sensor which gives you fantastic low light performance, sharp images and excellent dynamic range.
In my eyes best value for money camera in the market.
Get it with the basic kit lens (Nikon 18-55mm), learn how to use it, improve your skills and then add more lenses if you find you need to.

Good luck

Welcome to the forum. The d3300 you are looking at is excellent, any modern dslr is excellent.

From your photos you seem to shoot more static objects than moving, so maybe a smaller mirrorless camera might also suit.

Pentax do some very good twin kit lens options, that have the advantage of being weather resistant.

If you specify a little more on the type of photography you like and whether or not you like editing a little or a lot you'll get better info here, but off the cuff there's little to fault in the d3300

Hi all

I am Sach, new in this forum. So i wanted to learn photography coz i have always been in love with it but i couldn't afford a good camera so i started taking pictures with my smartphone and editing them to fit more appropriate in colors etc. I v been doing smartphone photography for a few months now and it just made my obsession with photography worse so i m thinking of investing in a camera but i m under a budget (lower than 600$) Since i don't have much knowledge in the subject i ll very much appreciate if any of you experienced folks out here can give me some tips on buying a good entry level camera and any suggestions for such. I have my eye on one which is Nikon D3300 but i m not sure 100% if it's the right fit so any suggestions are welcome.

And below are some shots i captured through my phone. Appreciate your criticism on them too.

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks for the advice :)

I still haven't chosen a specific type i have been capturing more static pictures through my phone since most moving pictures doesn't come out in much quality. But i m mostly into landscape, people and candid photography. I think Nikon D3300 will mostly suit me as my first camera since it seem like many people find it really usable. I m gonna keep digging tho, D3300 is on the top of the list now.

DSLRs do most things well, but are a bit bulky. The new so called mirrorless models have a different set up, similar image quality and interchangeable lenses. They do video better (generally due there focus setup) and focus instantly on single type focus, but generally don't do continuous focus as well as dslrs. Below are one or two links to good cameras around your price range. I really like the pentax because its built very well for the price. Pretty much image quality with all the models I suggest wont disappoint. I suggest you compare and pick something you prefer, there are of course loads of others, these are just some well reputable examples

Pentax K-S2 DSLR Camera with 18-50mm & 50-200mm Lenses 11610

Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera ILCE6000L/B B&H Photo

Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 55-200mm Lenses 13473

Nikon D5200 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Black) 1503 B&H Photo

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II Mirrorless Micro Four V207051BU010

If you are considering a used camera, the Nikon 5200 is selling currently for less than the 3300. I can't explain why. Perhaps just because it is a discontinued model. It has the same sensor and quite a bit more capability. The 3300 operates like an advanced point and shoot. A new 3300, of course, is cheaper than the 5300, the current model. The lenses are more important than the camera. Keep that in mind as you decide.

If you are considering a used camera, the Nikon 5200 is selling currently for less than the 3300. I can't explain why. Perhaps just because it is a discontinued model. It has the same sensor and quite a bit more capability. The 3300 operates like an advanced point and shoot. A new 3300, of course, is cheaper than the 5300, the current model. The lenses are more important than the camera. Keep that in mind as you decide.

The D3300 operates like an advanced point & shoot? I don't think so. Where did you come up with that? Do you own one?

Really ?
That's a rather interesting statement, actually if you want to debate this any DSLR in a way is an advanced P&S, depends of your definition.
Lets be more specific
The D3300 and D5200 are close but indeed the D5200 has few more features and the main two are the flippy screen and a better 39 auto focus point.
Sensors are close but the one on the D3300 is a bit more advanced because it lacks the AA filter, not a huge deal, the sensor on the D5200 has slightly better dynamic range, low light performance the D3300 has a slight edge.
Put both the D3300 and D5200 in the AUTO mode and they are just like any P&S but both can work in all other modes so in that regard they are identical.
Both the D5200 and D3300 are very good camera, if I had to choose between the two I would have hard time to choose.

Ill throw in another vote for the D3300 (I have one its great). Between the D3300 and the D5200 that is being discussed in this thread you cant go wrong either way.

But here is my real advise, read less, shoot more...

In reality pretty much every half decent camera out there at the higher end of your price range is a good camera. Just about all can make fabulous 8x10 prints and will be more than enough for every social media outlet there is. If you are just starting out its more important that you start taking pictures as we all know "your first 10,000 will be your worst...". We can all discuss the various downsides and positives of every nikon vs cannon vs sony vs hasselblad vs leica blah blah blah but you will grow into things like that over time. I have a D3300 and my brother and sister have canon rebel's, we all take decent pictures with our cameras but whats key is that we get out and shoot. Learning the fundamentals is whats really key, and that can be done on any decent camera that allows you to futz with all the settings.

<Shameless plug> I love Nikon, buy a Nikon, Nikons are the best, anyone that says anything else is flat out wrong....</Shameless plug>

Plenty of terrible photos have been taken with objectively "great" cameras and plenty of great photos have been taken with objectively "terrible" cameras but you will never take a photo, great or not, without a camera.

Regards
Dave

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back