Entry Level DSLR Opinions.

03SVTCobra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm leaving a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 behind in favor of a DSLR.

I love to do aviation photography, and take pics of my car and all my buddies cars at the weekend get together and races at the track.

I am really interested in the Sony A200 with the 18-55 and 70-300.

The 70-300 would suffice for aviation stuff out at the airport where I need to stretch out and catch them from distance.

I like the D40 too but its only 6 megapixel. I'd like a little more room to work with.

The Canon's just don't fit my budget at the moment.

I can't justify the cost of the D40X and two kit lens versus the A200 and two kit lens unless the 40X is going to really bring that much better of an image quality.

Let me know what you guys think...you're the experts right?

If you are in this for the long haul, I would spend my money on the lens you like and then go for an older body from that manufacturer (I'd say Canon or Nikon, but that will elicit screams from Pentax or Olympus or ....)

You can upgrade your body later and keep the lens if you choose wisely.

If you think you'd need to do a lot of cropping for the aviation photos then certainly get a 10MP camera, but for general use 6MP is more than plenty. The difference between 6MP and 10MP in a 30" wide print is only 125dpi vs 100dpi. Not really a big deal. For aviation photography I'd avoid the D40 too. Too few AF points might make it tough to lock on to what you're shooting and get a shot off.

You wont go wrong with the A200. built in image stabilization, the kit lens is pretty decent too. Many Minolta lenses out on the market that will fit, sony sigma and tamron lenses available new. Ive handheld a 1/8 second shot and it came out pretty good. I know I couldnt do that without image stabilization.

if you will someday want (and afford) good glass, go with nikon or canon. Ill never spend more than $6-700 on a lens, which will most likely be tamron/sigma anyways...So I went with the sony and Im completely satisfied! Now I need $500 for a sigma 10-20mm wide angle....

Most reactions

Back