EOS 300D and "analog" lense

deveel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a problem with my Canon EOS 300D and an old Quantaray 80-300mm lens (I bought it 1995, need to check the correct name). The lens works fine on my EOS 500 (which it is supposed to be made for since it's a film camera) but when I want to use it on my 300D I can make one, sometimes two shots and then the camera tells me ERR 99. All other "analog" lenses work fine on my 300D. Can anybody tell me if this is a general problem or if may be just the lens contacts are dirty or something along these lines? Thanks for help.

Someone may correct me,
But i think your lens needs 'rechipping' so it will work with the 300D, contact sigma about this- it will cost though, i dont believe the price is very steep for this service,

you may be right about lens contacts, or incorrect mounting- check thse first and then contact sigma about getting it rechipped (maybe wait for verification from other members first)

Yes, this sounds like an electronics problem with the older lens. As mentioned, usually the manufacturer can put a new chip into the lens, to solve the problem. I've heard of Tamron & Sigma doing this...even for free (plus shipping) but I don't know about Quantaray.

When & if you find out how much it will cost to get this done...compare that to the price of a new/used Canon 75-300 lens. It may be a better option to just get a new lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back