EOS 350D / Rebel XT problems from new

PlanktonBoy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have just bought a Rebel XT from the US and seem to be having issues with it. The first issue I had was Err 99 where the camera would take a shot but then display the err 99 message and lock up. After removing all batteries, recharging battery, removing lens etc the err 99 seems to have gone.

However, now when I take a shot it appears blank on the LCD screen as though the lens cap is on or the lens can't see anything.

The lens is the Canon EF28-135 F3.5-5.6 IS USM.

For a beginner to digital Canon cameras, does anyone have an idea what this is? lens not working? body issue? config issue? :grumpy:

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gavin.

Welcome to the forum.

From what I have read, this is often caused buy a bad connection between the lens & camera. Try cleaning the electronic contacts on both the camera & lens.

Is the LCD blank even when you go into the menu?

If not, I would try pressing the button that says clear camera settings, or restore factory defaults. possibly you might have turned the LCD setting off. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for responses.

Fadingaway1986 - the LCD is fine in Menu mode so is turned on.

Big Mike - I thought it could be the conenctions so will try and clean these properly (or get someone who knows what they are doing to clean them) and see if this works.

Cheers.

Error 99 is a "unknown" error, check things like the lens is mounted ok (contacts ok?), and the CF card is ok, else return it

Most reactions

Back