EOS350 vs E500 vs D50 - First DSLR

pyropenguin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a second year photography student, a sophmore in highschool. I'm looking to upgrade my camera from a KodakDX6490 to some kind of DSLR.

The top three cameras I've seen are the Rebel XT, the E500, and the D50. I read lots on dpreview about those three cameras and still cant make my decision!

I like the bigger picture the E500 and the RebelXT take, but the D50 is $100 cheaper than the E500, and $200 cheaper than the RebelXT. The noise levels on the D50 and 350D are about the same, but the E500 has noticably more noise than the other two (in their tests).

Well, if anybody has these cameras, please give me some good and bad points of them.

Thanks,
Kyle H

pyropenguin said:
I'm a second year photography student, a sophmore in highschool. I'm looking to upgrade my camera from a KodakDX6490 to some kind of DSLR.

The top three cameras I've seen are the Rebel XT, the E500, and the D50. I read lots on dpreview about those three cameras and still cant make my decision!

I like the bigger picture the E500 and the RebelXT take, but the D50 is $100 cheaper than the E500, and $200 cheaper than the RebelXT. The noise levels on the D50 and 350D are about the same, but the E500 has noticably more noise than the other two (in their tests).

Well, if anybody has these cameras, please give me some good and bad points of them.

Thanks,
Kyle H

the E500 may be more expensive, but you get two lenses instead of one, bigger screen than both the others, more MPs than the D50, and better controls (as says Popular Photography in the Budget DSLR shootout). only thing is, there aren't that wide a range of lenses yet, but the 4/3 mount will take off soon! here's an article of the advantages of the mount: http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ol...242002_pr.html . peronsally i love my E500!

but g'luck :thumbup::thumbup:

Well my friend has an E500 so I'll ask him if I can play with it a little bit tomorrow.

Do you shoot in raw? If so, how is it importing the Raw files into photoshop (CS2)?

-Kyle

pyropenguin said:
Well my friend has an E500 so I'll ask him if I can play with it a little bit tomorrow.

Do you shoot in raw? If so, how is it importing the Raw files into photoshop (CS2)?

-Kyle

sorry can't help you there :meh: i shoot in jpeg

i personally love my e-500, but my biggest 2 complaints are the noise and that there is no vertical grip available yet, which isnt even that big of a deal. the noise is more than the others, but i have definately seen worse. the e-500 raw file is .orf and they have a patch for it. the camera also comes with the olympus master software so you can save it as a jpg or a tiff if you like!

edit* i forgot to mention-totally go for the 14-54 f.28-3.5 as soon as you can, it is leaps and bound from the kit lense!

I'd go with 350
D50 is OK
Personally, I don't beleive in olympus system

Ironically, the prices reflect that. You get what you pay for.

I would sum it up as: You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. You are unlikely to go wrong with Olympus. The distinction is subtle, but I for one, have reservations about whether they will flourish or not - it's a tough market at the moment, and the other manufacturers have sunk a lot more R&D investment at the problem so far.

Rob

I think you'd probably be happy with any of those - they are all great cameras. My advice to you would be to try and have a play with each of the cameras and see which suits you best.

personally, I own a 350D and am very happy with it - but the differences between them are very fine and it really all comes down to a matter of personal preference.

The Four Thirds sytem used by Olympus does have a smaller range of lenses, sure, but those Zuiko lenses are generally very good.. Check them all out if you can, and I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide to go with.

im a lover of the 350d (i have one) ok so it has the smaller screen but i only use that to make sure that the image is what i want and its notr badly burnt out ect also beacuse its the transition between amiture camiras it gives you the best of both worlds the simple features of amiture camera and then the best bits of the semi pro camera. But go and have a play, what i did when i was deciding was to take in a load of diffrent froms for id and address comfimation (the normal stuff utility bills ect) and see if theyll lat you take the demo model out for a while. its always worth a try

Most reactions

Back