Epson V700 Questions

bruce282

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to test an old Tamron 70-200 2.8 lens on my Nikon F3. I shot a roll of Tri-X and had the local camera shop develop it. I downloaded the Windows 7 64bit driver for my V700 and have it up and running.

I want to see how sharp the lens is, but I'm baffled with what resolution I should scan at. Just as a test I did one frame @ 300 and same frame at 6400, both at 16 bit greyscale, TIFF format. Neither told me much, 300dpi was too small and the bigger I go the grainer the scan's going to be.

So what would you recommend I scan at to give a fair representation of the optic quality of the lens. I plan on scanning and then using LR3.

Thanks,

Bruce

I use an Epson V600, so - not really the same, but similar. I usually scan at 3200 or 4800...

You want it to be high enough to see the grain... If the grain isn't sharp, how can you tell if the problem is low resolution, bad lens, or whatever.

If you can get it to where the grain is sharp, you know the scan is good. After that, if it's not good it's a film/camera/lens issue.

At normal viewing sizes/distances, the grain won't be much of an issue. (Unless it's just really grainy film.) You really need to be able to see the grain at 100% though to know that you're getting the most out of the scanner.

Eh, why don't you just look at the neg through a good loupe ??
You are adding another factor into the image quality by scanning the neg.

Here's a shot I scanned in at 2400, just scanned it and imported into LR3. I'm happy with the outcome of the scan. The lens however is a no go which I expected. Very soft most of the time regardless of zoom or aperture.

Bruce

b&w_scans-034.jpg by red04wrx, on Flickr

I also use a v500 and scanall my negatives at 3200 and 4200 for pictures restoration work from a print.
they come out nice.

I don't believe the scanner is capable of resolving as highly as it claims. In my humble opinion anything over 2400 is probably a waste of time.

Alpha said:
I don't believe the scanner is capable of resolving as highly as it claims. In my humble opinion anything over 2400 is probably a waste of time.

Somewhat true, but u have to scan at 3200dpi or higher to actually achieve a "true" 2400dpi.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back