has a hat around here somewhere
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
That article is a little, what I'd consider, brief with the actual details. They also reference a 7D so they are 100% just giving a very short-hand answer. Bracketing, as I've always come across it, is 3 separate shots. Yes they are enabled with one press of the shutter, but they are 3 separate shots. All its doing it automating changing settings for 3 shots and then binding them to one press of the shutter to enable.

As I noted before I've not personally encountered a camera that produces a bracketed shot from a single exposure; I can see how it would be done (at least if all its changing is the ISO), but otherwise shutterspeed and aperture are pretty much fixed at the time of taking the shot so to vary either (or both) you need another shot.

jcdeboever

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Jc - does your camera take all 3 bracketed photos at once? I want to say mine does it 3 consecutive so it wouldn’t work for action but now I’m doubting myself and will need to test that!
Not sure. I've only done this with film (Nikon F2) so it's manual and stacked in post. The subject was always a building or landscape. Im pretty sure the OP's Canon 7D does this automatically if setup that way in the menu. In other words it probably can be set up to fire 3 images and merged into one in camera. I was only suggesting something that may prove to be useful under flat lighting conditions.

Last edited:
OP
Overread

Overread

has a hat around here somewhere
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Photos OK to edit
I honestly can't recall if the 7D can stack them automatically into one photo. It "might" be able too, but it might just be a touch shy of the generation where that became a feature. That said all that does is take the 3 photos and stacking and bind it to a single button. You'd still have the same need for 3 separate shots one after the other. Then all the camera would do is post-process them together for you as opposed to doing it yourself in editing.

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I honestly can't recall if the 7D can stack them automatically into one photo. It "might" be able too, but it might just be a touch shy of the generation where that became a feature. That said all that does is take the 3 photos and stacking and bind it to a single button. You'd still have the same need for 3 separate shots one after the other. Then all the camera would do is post-process them together for you as opposed to doing it yourself in editing.
You can create your own bracketed exposures in post and merge them. As long as you shoot in the middle and don’t blow out highlights or clip darks all the info is there.

NS: Nikon Shooter

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
-

The moment, it's all in the moment.

That moment is in the movement. In my experience, the shot
was taken too late, after the initial push, the full extension, and
take off, already in the contracting/regrouping phase — for the
horse — and the sitting back in the saddle for the rider.

I posted some illustrations here. No bracketing ever considered.

Lez325

Wildlife Photographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
My thanks Les, those do make some big differences to the shot.
You've taken the same crop concept I've used (more before than behind) and pushed it further and I think that certainly works better, it really shows off the motion a bit more and makes it feel like its moving further forward.
Brightness in the shot is also much improved, though I have to say I'm still doggedly fond of the darker tones on the horse in the original, but I wonder if part of that is just my "minds eye" recreating the slightly dull conditions I shot in at the time; or perhaps I'm just a touch too conservative in editing at times, to my own detriment when trying to make a shot.
Editing for me a a vital part of being able to present an image that I can sell - which I presently make my living from- we all have a different perspective when it comes to editing- to be honest getting it right in camera make such a huge difference, to that and I try to achieve that when and where I can :)

Keep at it :)

Les

Most reactions

New Topics