Equipment Check

johndoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good evening fellow photographers!

I was curious what everybody in here has for their camera set up. What is your EDC (everyday carry) when out and about? What is your specific reason for using the camera setup that you have? Professional or personal? I would love to hear from everybody what you guys have. I'll go first :smug:

Camera:
Fujifilm Finepix HS 25 EXR

Lense:
Super EBC Fujinon Lens 30x manual zoom f=4.2-126; 1:2.8-5.6; 58mm (still not exactly sure what all the means but I'm getting there lol)
This lens is attached to the camera I can't remove it. I use this camera for personal use, but I am looking to upgrade soon and I really what to become a professional photographer (dreaming lol), but that is gonna take some time lol.

So that's what I have. What do you carry?

Minolta X-370, because film life.

Usually Nikon D500 with Tamron zoom lens,, but I have fun trying other cheaper lenses too,,

Panasonic Lumix ZS-100. Easy to carry, 1" sensor, shoots RAW, 25-250 FOV, takes better photos than a cell phone. Only carry my DSLRs when I am out photographing.

Depends on where I'm going and doing. For family or casual events I take a sling bag with a D7200, 18-140mm kit lens and a 10-20mm and assorted junk. If I'm going for wildlife / birding / landscapes, it's a large backpack with a D850, D500, 14-24mm f/2.8, 200-500mm f/5.6, a 1.4x teleconverter, lee filter kit, carbon tripod with gimbal head, assorted junk then a 600mm f/4 in it's own box. For street photography, I just sling a D800 with 50mm lens over my shoulder. ... Take the right tools for the job.

My EDC is a pistol! When out and about taking pics I take either my new to me D500, or my D5600.
LOL. I like that. What kind of pistol do you carry? I CCW a Springfield Armory Operator 1911 10mm IWB with a Viridian X5L Camera/laser/light combo.

Usually Nikon D500 with Tamron zoom lens,, but I have fun trying other cheaper lenses too,,
What size lens do you use or do you just use that specific brand and why?

Panasonic Lumix ZS-100. Easy to carry, 1" sensor, shoots RAW, 25-250 FOV, takes better photos than a cell phone. Only carry my DSLRs when I am out photographing.
Nice. What kind of photos do you like to take? You seem like a bird kinda guy. I love taking pictures of birds I just need to get better at it lol.

LOL. I like that. What kind of pistol do you carry? I CCW a Springfield Armory Operator 1911 10mm IWB with a Viridian X5L Camera/laser/light combo.
I’ve been CCW’ing a Sig P365 for the last couple of years. It originally made me retire my S&W 638, but eventually I quit carrying just about every pistol that used to be in my carry rotation. It’s that good!

I have 2 cameras: Canon 7d mkii & a 5d mkiv. I use my Sigma 150-600 Sports lens on the 5d & the Canon stock lens on the 7d. I recently purchased a Canon wide angle/macro 24mm lens.

I mostly shoot birds & other wildlife.

Last edited:
Interesting to skim the replies. A lot of common approaches. For me it depends on risk and objective.

Kayak: Wildlife and landscapes. Canon 50D and the Tamron 18-400. Both have a little watersealing and the lens makes up in versatility what it gives up in optical quality.

Biking: Usually wildlife. Canon R6 and the Canon 100-400 L MII with the 1.4x or 2x teleconverter.

Hiking: Wildlife and landscapes same as Biking adding the Canon 6D Mark II and the 24-105 L Mark II. I have a two camera strap so I'm ready for anything...including light rain.

Sports. R6 and the 100-400 with the 6D and the Canon 70-200 2.8.

This weekend I have a family event at a beatiful park on the Chesapeake Bay, Wildlife, Landscapes, Portraits. Same as hiking but with 70-200 L and the Canon 85 f1.8 instead of the 24-105.

I never sell gear so there are three other bodies and four lenses I did not mention. They are used in higher risk situations or lent to friends or kids that may have an interest.

Wildlife: D500 w/ Nikon 200-500 zoom.
Kayaking: D5600 w/ 70-300 kit lens.
Just in case: D5600 w/ 18-55 kit lens.

I’ve been CCW’ing a Sig P365 for the last couple of years. It originally made me retire my S&W 638, but eventually I quit carrying just about every pistol that used to be in my carry rotation. It’s that good!
Oh yeah that’s a beautiful piece. I have a buddy the ccw that one and it shoots amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

Back