Equipment Check

Interesting to skim the replies. A lot of common approaches. For me it depends on risk and objective.

Kayak: Wildlife and landscapes. Canon 50D and the Tamron 18-400. Both have a little watersealing and the lens makes up in versatility what it gives up in optical quality.

Biking: Usually wildlife. Canon R6 and the Canon 100-400 L MII with the 1.4x or 2x teleconverter.

Hiking: Wildlife and landscapes same as Biking adding the Canon 6D Mark II and the 24-105 L Mark II. I have a two camera strap so I'm ready for anything...including light rain.

Sports. R6 and the 100-400 with the 6D and the Canon 70-200 2.8.

This weekend I have a family event at a beatiful park on the Chesapeake Bay, Wildlife, Landscapes, Portraits. Same as hiking but with 70-200 L and the Canon 85 f1.8 instead of the 24-105.

I never sell gear so there are three other bodies and four lenses I did not mention. They are used in higher risk situations or lent to friends or kids that may have an interest.
Wow. You have a nice collection. Which is your favorite or your “go to”?

If the purpose is serious photography, it would be a Canham MQC with a 210mm lens; I may also pocket a 420mm or 480mm lens. The camera, for those who might be unfamilar with it, is a 5x7 metal view camera, very light and compact.

If I'm just out and about, particularly if tripod use is problematic, then a Sony a7r11 with 15mm, 35mm, 90mm macro lenses.

Should we be allowed out again (I'm in the UK) I may well take a 10x8 Canham instead of the medium format MQC.

Last edited:
Good evening fellow photographers!

I was curious what everybody in here has for their camera set up. What is your EDC (everyday carry) when out and about? What is your specific reason for using the camera setup that you have? Professional or personal? I would love to hear from everybody what you guys have. I'll go first :smug:

Camera:
Fujifilm Finepix HS 25 EXR

Lense:
Super EBC Fujinon Lens 30x manual zoom f=4.2-126; 1:2.8-5.6; 58mm (still not exactly sure what all the means but I'm getting there lol)
This lens is attached to the camera I can't remove it. I use this camera for personal use, but I am looking to upgrade soon and I really what to become a professional photographer (dreaming lol), but that is gonna take some time lol.

So that's what I have. What do you carry?
Sony A7R III or A7 III with Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and small flash.

Depends on the circumstance and what I'm planning to shoot. If I'm just doing a light walk around, like if the wife and I going to Old Town (Albuquerque), I might just take the 5D4 with my 24-105 L lens. Sometimes, if I don't feel like carrying much, I'll take the Panasonic Lumix LX100 and always have the iPhone 12.

If we're making a special trip to shoot wildlife, like at Bosque Del Apache, then I'll take a much bigger bag with two bodies (5D4 and 7D2) and lots of lens choices (Sigma 150-600, Canon 300mm, Canon 70-200 (and 1.4 extender). For landscape shooting I will usually take the 5D4 with the 24-105 and also the 70-200 and maybe the 50mm Prime. If I'm going out to shoot the night sky, I prefer my Canon 6D with a 14mm Rokinon lens. I often use my 50mm 1.4 prime for shooting portraits (granddaughter, etc). I have a couple of Canon 600EX-RT Speedlights that I sometimes take if the circumstances call for flash.

I was curious what everybody in here has for their camera set up. What is your EDC (everyday carry) when out and about? What is your specific reason for using the camera setup that you have? Professional or personal? I would love to hear from everybody what you guys have. I'll go first :smug:

Camera:

Lense:
Super EBC Fujinon Lens 30x manual zoom f=4.2-126; 1:2.8-5.6; 58mm (still not exactly sure what all the means but I'm getting there lol)
This lens is attached to the camera I can't remove it. I use this camera for personal use, but I am looking to upgrade soon and I really what to become a professional photographer (dreaming lol), but that is gonna take some time lol.

Fuji X100 V. Light, compact, versatile, good lens and sensor. Having a fixed focal length lens allows me to “previsualize” my images , I « see » them without the camera before I take them. It also gives consistency to my work (group of images rather than single image).

Camera:

Lense:

My set up
Main camera Nikon D780 with the following 3 lenses, 28mm d lens, 85 1.8 d lens and 105mm d lens
The 85 is my main go to lens used most of the time for fashion I love the 28 and for beauty close ups the 105 is the boss.

Back up and travel camera Nikon z50 with the 35 1.8 dx and 40mm macro dx

My EDC is an M&P-9. My grab and go camera is a Nikon D3300 with an AF-S DX 18-140mm f/3.5 zoom for general photo use or a AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 prime for street and portrait. I do however often grab my Minolta XG-M film camera with a 35-70mm f/2.8 or a 28mm f/2.8.... depends on the mood and the destination.

Nikon F2 as of late. It changes depending on my project. My current project is metering with an external spot meter. My F2 has no built in light meter so I am trying to learn the finer points on metering a scene and how my thinking (choices) influence the look on the film I have chosen to use. I am studying the zone system and have chosen to use a Nikkor PC lens. I am also logging the effects of exposure as they relate into the zone system. My ultimate goal is to become skilled enough to obtain the desired exposure on film, using a 4 x 5 view camera.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your post I really appreciate it and enjoy seeing what you all carry. So, I have a recent update on my everyday carry. I recently bought a new Canon EOS 90D with a Canon 18-55mm "kit lens" and a Tamron 18-400mm telephoto lens.

I was really trying to hold out for the announcement of the R3, but I just couldn't wait lol. I am still planning on getting it (or maybe the R1 depending on how long that takes), but I needed something to hold me over till they come out. While I was looking at the controls of the R3 I found that the 90D is strikingly similar in that area as far as button placement and the "joystick" etc. I didn't really want to go DSLR, I wanted to go straight to mirrorless, but I figure if I get the 90D with similar controls and very much an update from my old Fujifilm I could at least get used to shooting with a Canon (never owned one) and figure out the menu system and how lenses work, also I could save a few dollars for when the R3/R1 does come out and I'm not completely broke by going and buying the R5 and some glass that I was eyeing oh so very hard, and so on and so forth.

The camera so far has been a dream to use I really really enjoy it, but again I'm coming from using a very old camera that is nowhere near as powerful and beautifully designed as the Canon is. As for the glass, the Tamron lens is impressive, to say the least. It is an amazing piece of equipment and have loved shooting with it. Well, anyway I guess Ill stop there before I just continue babbling on lol. Thank you guys again for the post and please post more or if you guys buy any new gear I would love to hear about it!

Most reactions

Back