Equipment for beginners??

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by sm2012, Dec 27, 2013.

1. sm2012

sm2012 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the suggestion Amanda! I will check them out!

2. sm2012

sm2012 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have spent alot of time using my camera and while there is room for improvement I think I have come a good ways from where I started. I know I need better lighting than what I have, I just don't know how to choose. I've read reviews, and i've researched, but i'm completely learning this on my own. I don't have tons of money to constantly buy something else when the thing I initially bought does not work for me. I was hoping to cut through all the "fluff" and get the to the stuff that seasoned photographers use and found to be helpful. There's always gonna be stuff marketed towards newbies to make you "think" you need it, when in fact it's a waste of money :)

Off topic: is there a place on this forum to post your photos to get feedback on?

3. sm2012

sm2012 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For B&W, what about the colored filters? I ran across many different colors, but in particular saw that red, yellow, and green are good for B&W? Are any of the colored filters worth spending money on?

4. bratkinson

bratkinson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

In addition to gaining photography knowledge tirediron speaks of, I suggest you ditch the FLD filter(s) (do you really shoot daylight film under florescent lights?) and any other 'protective' filters you may have or be thinking about and instead, spend a couple of bucks for the appropriate lens hoods for each of your lenses. Check out the 'accessories' listed for each of your lenses at B&H Photo:
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens 2042B002 B&H Photo Video
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens 2042B002 B&H Photo Video
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens 2519A003 B&H Photo Video

They don't have to be Canon brand nor do you need to buy them from B&H - Although most of my gear comes from them.