Equipment for beginners??

sm2012

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, new to this site. I've had my DSLR for over a year, but am just now really starting to dig in, and became overwhelmed when I discovered the enormous amount of accessories/lenses there are!! What are your must-haves for a beginner doing portraits and B&W photography? I have a Canon Rebel T1i. My lenses include canon EFS IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm EFS IS f/4-5.6, 50mm EF f/1.8, and 85 EF USM f/1.8mm. I have (for my 50mm lens) a lens hood and CPL & FLD filters. I also have a rubber lens hood and a tripod.

With the 85mm f/1.8, you already have something for portraits really. On the APS-C sensor....it's about 128mm so it's great for portraits. There are really no must-haves for doing B&W as compared to color but you'll need a software that will do color-conversion. I am pretty sure they range from free to really expensive.

If for portraits, you're looking for lighting....well, I am not an expert on that so I will let others speak.

Welcome! Yes, lighting is the next step.

The only must-have is that you must have the knowledge to know what you need next. In other words, don't go looking for things to buy ('cause there's no end of those!), rather wait until you find something that you can't do, or at least can't do as well as you want to. I agree that if portraiture is a primary interest, lighting is definitely an area to consider, but it's a HUGE area with gear ranging from free to tens of thousands of dollars.

What is it that you can't do at this point that you want to do, and is the reason you can't do it because you don't know how, or you've exceeded your gear's capabilities?

The only must-have is that you must have the knowledge to know what you need next. In other words, don't go looking for things to buy ('cause there's no end of those!), rather wait until you find something that you can't do, or at least can't do as well as you want to. I agree that if portraiture is a primary interest, lighting is definitely an area to consider, but it's a HUGE area with gear ranging from free to tens of thousands of dollars.

What is it that you can't do at this point that you want to do, and is the reason you can't do it because you don't know how, or you've exceeded your gear's capabilities?

Yes.. yes.. please expand more on the "Free" end of the spectrum.. rotfl

Seriously though, to the OP - tirediron pretty much nailed it on the head. Before you buy gear you should really understand what need it fulfills and at least the basics of how it works.

...Yes.. yes.. please expand more on the "Free" end of the spectrum.. rotfl
Sure: Reflectors, the most basic tool in your light-modification tool-kit can be anything from a white t-shirt (it doesn't even have to be your own) to a piece of posterboard. A diffuser for your pop-up flash can make a huge difference in your image results. This can be anything from a piece of toilet-tissue to a small container from the kitchen Tupperware drawer. Work lights that most of us have in our garage can be used in a pinch for portrait lighting...

Ring flashes are quite nice for portraits as they give a nice even light and good catchlights in the eyes. I cheated slightly by getting a Rayflash ring flash light modifier whig effectively goes over a normal hot shoe flash (in my case an SB-800).

If you don't know what you need to do portraits then you're not ready to do portraits yet. You'll figure out what equipment you need the more you learn and practice.

Learn how to use your camera well and get to the point that you're so comfortable with using your camera it seems to come naturally. You'll need to be able to produce good quality photos on a consistent basis to be successful doing portraits or any work in photography.

Ring flashes are quite nice for portraits as they give a nice even light and good catchlights in the eyes. I cheated slightly by getting a Rayflash ring flash light modifier whig effectively goes over a normal hot shoe flash (in my case an SB-800).

I have seen flash rings in my search for lighting, would you recommend a ring over an external flash, such as a canon speedlite?? I can only buy one right now, so I need to make the most of my money :)

nope... buy a speedlight and it doesn't have to be Canon. Yunogo makes very comparable speedlights for a fraction of the cost.

Welcome! Yes, lighting is the next step.

TO that end, I would suggest the next accessory is one of the MOST-useful ones: a large reflector that is white on one side, and black on the other, and perhaps a second, sheer white cloth cover. I prefer rectangular or square reflectors because they are MUCH, and in like 20x, easier to sit down,m or prop or lean, because the bottom edge is straight, not rounded!

Hey....look http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-equipment-products/204241-reflector-question.html

Well one of my limitations is lighting for portraits. I have tried the DIY lighting per youtube videos and it just isn't enough. I was able to move my backdrop so that I have a window in front, which produced good lighting for a shoot in addition to my DIY lights, but window light will not always be available. I am using daylight bulbs in the 5500K range with homemade diffusers. I have searched for lighting kits on ebay/amazon, but there are so many bulb options (45w, 65w, 105w, etc) that I don't know what would be best for me. I was hoping to cut through the trial and error (because like you said there is no end!) and get some good suggestions on things like lights, flashes, filters, lenses so I don't keep wasting money!
Another limitation i'm frustrated with is shooting indoor events. I did a birthday party and every photo had a orange/yellow hue to it no matter what mode I used, and I tried every setting in every option and mode! I use camera settings to keep from using the built in flash because I HATE the harshness it creates. So to solve that i'm thinking about a diffuser for the flash problem, which may solve my color problem?! I did a little research and came across a FLB filter, would that do the trick for the orange/yellow hue?

Thanks for the suggestion Amanda! I will check them out!

If you don't know what you need to do portraits then you're not ready to do portraits yet. You'll figure out what equipment you need the more you learn and practice.

Learn how to use your camera well and get to the point that you're so comfortable with using your camera it seems to come naturally. You'll need to be able to produce good quality photos on a consistent basis to be successful doing portraits or any work in photography.

I have spent alot of time using my camera and while there is room for improvement I think I have come a good ways from where I started. I know I need better lighting than what I have, I just don't know how to choose. I've read reviews, and i've researched, but i'm completely learning this on my own. I don't have tons of money to constantly buy something else when the thing I initially bought does not work for me. I was hoping to cut through all the "fluff" and get the to the stuff that seasoned photographers use and found to be helpful. There's always gonna be stuff marketed towards newbies to make you "think" you need it, when in fact it's a waste of money :)

Off topic: is there a place on this forum to post your photos to get feedback on?

With the 85mm f/1.8, you already have something for portraits really. On the APS-C sensor....it's about 128mm so it's great for portraits. There are really no must-haves for doing B&W as compared to color but you'll need a software that will do color-conversion. I am pretty sure they range from free to really expensive.

If for portraits, you're looking for lighting....well, I am not an expert on that so I will let others speak.

For B&W, what about the colored filters? I ran across many different colors, but in particular saw that red, yellow, and green are good for B&W? Are any of the colored filters worth spending money on?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back