Equipment for taking football pictures from stands

tjcoker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to figure out what sort of equipment I will need foor taking pictures from the stands at college football games. I understand from reading here that getting close is the name of the game, but I would at best be down near the bottom rows behind the end zones.

I'm thinking of picking up a Nikon D70, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens and a 1.4x TC.

The reason for the 70-200 f2.8 is for dual usage when taking photos during indoor or low light sporting events like basketball games.

Any suggestions/reassurances? Anyone have any similar pictures they have taken during pro/college football games from the stands?

Tim.

From the stands might be tough but I think you are on the right track with the fast lens. Even with the 1.4 TC you are still only looking at 280. The D70 will crop that image (not magnify) so that your field of view will be that of a longer lens 400+.

You might want to get a mono pod or something similar. You will need every trick to keep the shutter speed high enough to freeze the action.

If you look at the photographers on the sideline of any big football game...they all have very long & fast lenses...probably worth $6000. They usually have mono pods as well. If you don't expect to get shots as good as they need to get...you should be OK with what you are planning on.

If you want full frame action shots of anywhere but the endzone you're sitting in you're going to need a 400 or better from the stands. The local news folks here who are looking for the stands angle all shoot with 600s and it's still kinda loose for their liking. Personally, you can't get away with a converter and 70-200 at all from the side line alone, much less from the stands.

2133_360.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back