Equipment Insurance

Reed029

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just wondering if anyone has insured their equipment. I'm really stupid when it comes to that stuff, but wonder if it's possible or worth it.

My equipment is covered under my home owner's policy...even when it's not in my home. The problem with that, is that I have a high deductible on my house policy ($500 or something like that) so claiming most photo gear would not be worth it.

To fix that problem, I have a rider on my policy, specifically for my photo gear. I give them a list of my gear and the deductible for that gear is $25. It adds a bit to the cost of the insurance, but the peace of mind is worth every penny IMO.

I also carry insurance on my equipment. Mine however is not on my homeowners. It is a seperate policy with full covereage against, loss, theft and damage. It runs me approximately $10 per $1000 worth of equipment.

I would personally advise against getting a rider on your homeowners insurance and instead contact your agent about a seperate policy. If it is part of your homeowners you deductable is going to kick in and any claim goes agaist your home owners insurance. A couple of bad years with storm claims and a lost lens could bump your deductable up quite high. Just my 2 cents here.

I would personally advise against getting a rider on your homeowners insurance and istead contact your agent about a seperate policy. If it is part of your homeowners you deductable is going to kick in and any claim goes agaist your home owners insurance. A couple of bad years with storm claims and a lost lens could bump your deductable up quite high. Just my 2 cents here.

Point worth considering.....:thumbup:

Good point.

I'm going to need a separate policy once I start a business anyway.

Good point.

I'm going to need a separate policy once I start a business anyway.

Most definately. My policy is $10.00 a year for every $1,000.00 in gear. That rate is because I am a hobbist and not doing this for a living. Buisness insurance will cost more.

Mine is covered under homeowner's insurance for now.... anyone can point us in the direction of a company that will write seperate policies for the photographic equipment?

Mine is covered under homeowner's insurance for now.... anyone can point us in the direction of a company that will write seperate policies for the photographic equipment?

Call your the insurance company that has your homeowners insurance. I use State Farm and this is something they have done for a long time.

Call your the insurance company that has your homeowners insurance. I use State Farm and this is something they have done for a long time.

Do you know what they call the policy? My stuff is just covered under homeowners but I would like it to be covered separtely as well. I asked my insurance company about a separate policy for photo gear and they looked at me like I was crazy. I use Nationwide but we do have a State Farm agent here that I could go to for a separate policy if I knew what it was called. $10 a year for every $1000 is cheap, I would glad pay that and even more. Thanks.

I do not own a home but I have renters ins from state farm that covers all my gear including my laptop and all the contents of our home it all cost me 12 bucks a month

Do you know what they call the policy? My stuff is just covered under homeowners but I would like it to be covered separtely as well. I asked my insurance company about a separate policy for photo gear and they looked at me like I was crazy. I use Nationwide but we do have a State Farm agent here that I could go to for a separate policy if I knew what it was called. $10 a year for every $1000 is cheap, I would glad pay that and even more. Thanks.

Sorry, I don't have a name for it. I just called my agent and told them what it was that I wanted to insure and they told me what I needed to get to them. I did have to give them a copy of the purchase receipt for each piece of equipment. The big stuff that is, camera bodies, lenses etc. I also provided them with serial numbers of all of those items as well. Now I have a fast record in case of theft.

It's pretty much like insuring a painting or anything else for that matter. Just a seperate policy for what it is you wanted.

my gear is covered under my home insurance up to a value of £3000 per item. My gear combined is worth more than that but indivually the most expensive item is the Canon 5D. I cleared it with the insurers and they're happy with the equipment and i don't have a seperate policy for it.

It's also covered in my car provided it's out of site ie in the boot. i'm pretty sure my car insurance doesn't cover it in the car but as long as it's covered under one policy i'm happy!!

I do not own a home but I have renters ins from state farm that covers all my gear including my laptop and all the contents of our home it all cost me 12 bucks a month

I was just about to ask about this. I don't own a home, therefore I don't have homeowner's insurance. Does the renter's insurance cover the equipment if it's lost or stolen outside of the property you rent?

I have renters insurance through USAA and they added all the jewelery and photog equipment to a new policy so that if any thing happens to it, ANYTHING, they will give me full replacement value not just what it's worth. It has saved my ass before and I am sure it will save it again in the future it is mor than worth the $20-30 a year I pay for it.

Most reactions

Back