Equipment markup

jlykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jlykinsphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I searched but couldn't find anything on what I was looking for. What's the general "markup" on camera equipment? There is a part time opening at a local camera shop and my new schedule will allow me to take the job and use all of the money to buy things at the shop. ;) Is it worth it? I used to work for Best Buy when I was in college and the dicount was 5% above cost. Any insight would be great.

Matthew Craggs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I work at a camera shop and the markup on camera's is 20%. I don't know if this is standard, but the prices are the same as the other chain stores in the country.

Other than that, I can't tell ya because there is such a variety in products and each one is different. For example, memory cards are, I believe, 50%.

If you need a job regardless then definitely go for it, because you'll at least be able to work with stuff you love.

OP
jlykins

jlykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jlykinsphotos.com
Photos OK to edit
I work at a camera shop and the markup on camera's is 20%. I don't know if this is standard, but the prices are the same as the other chain stores in the country.

Other than that, I can't tell ya because there is such a variety in products and each one is different. For example, memory cards are, I believe, 50%.

If you need a job regardless then definitely go for it, because you'll at least be able to work with stuff you love.

Na, I'm an electrical engineer by trade, I was just going to do it a couple of days a week to get a discount on the stuff that I spend the most money on. I was hoping to hear that there is a 50% markup on lens' and cameras. Oh well. I may still do it anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics