Equipment Protection

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by St3phaniex3, Feb 20, 2016.

1. St3phaniex3

St3phaniex3 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just recently purchased a new dslr and was wondering what would be better for protecting my gear just in case. The seller offered a 3 year warranty but I was just curious if it would be better to shop around and get insurance through someone else. Anyone have any suggestions on a good equipment protection plan? I'm on a pretty tight budget though so nothing too expensive!

2. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Extended warranties, for just about any product, are basically 100% profit for the seller.
    So financial experts usually do not recommend buying an extended warranty.

Most homeowners insurance automatically covers any camera gear home owners acquire for personal use.
    If you don't have homeowners insurance check with an insurance agent wherever it is you are about insurance for your camera.

3. St3phaniex3

St3phaniex3 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok thank you very much!

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Check with your provider to be sure of the degree of coverage; many companies provide reduced or no coverage for gear once it leaves your property (ie dropped or stolen gear when you're shooting in a park may well not be covered). There is also usually a cap on the amount covered.

5. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

For non professional use get a personal articles policy. Don't rely on you homeowners policy. Mine is through State Farm but any good insurance company will have them.

6. St3phaniex3

St3phaniex3 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I was looking into PPA and since I'm a student I get a discount but need to look into the policy a little further to make sure it will cover all areas I need.