Equipment recommendation for tethered shooting

terbo2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! My family runs a sawmill where we photograph special sets of lumber to be posted on our website for customers to browse. We've always done the photography with a simple point and shoot (Cannon PowerShot D10), or with an entry level SLR (older entry level Cannon Rebel). I'd like to up our game, and set up a quasi-photo studio with a camera in a fixed to the ceiling (some of the lumber sets are large and aerial shots seem to be the best)...

Does anyone have any recommendations on how this is best accomplished? The old Cannon Rebel could be connected to a PC, but the software was fairly difficult to work with, there was little control over the camera, and the whole setup was cumbersome. I imagine things have improved by now, I know some cameras can bluetooth directly to a smart phone.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations!!!

I tether my Canon 7D to my MBP and Lightroom. I don't do it often and I don't use the camera controls on it. There are some aps for iPhone that will allow you control you camera, as long as it has the WiFi.

Thanks for the info. We use Photoshop, and just do basic editing. I just read up a little on Lightroom. Sounds like a nice way to keep photos organized. Maybe we'll use that software instead in the new setup. I'll be doing the free trial to test it out.

The camera controls are key for what we'll be doing. My sticking point is that I know we'll have to buy a new camera that has this functionality, and it seems those cameras are well beyond the point-n-shoot price range. I need to do my homework before jumping into a Cannon and then finding out Nikon has better tethered set up.

Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back