Equipment Recommendation

Dah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a DSLR camera soon. Probably a Canon Rebel/20D/30D. My budget for the camera depends on how much I spend on lenses. I know that the three cameras listed will do what I need.

I currently have two lenses
Canon EF 80-200 1:4,5-5.6 II
Canon EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 II

What camera would you recommend? What additional lenses should I add to do action, portrait & macro photography?

Thanks
Dah

You have a couple of lense to get you started. How serious are you about this and how much are you willing to spend? In your list the 30D is the best choice of camera bodies. If you are looking for the cheaper root then go with the rebel. For what you are wanting to do the following list would get you started with your existing lenses.

30D body $ 1,149.95
50mm 1.8 $ 79.95 (Portrait lens)
or
50mm 2.5 marco $ 239.95 (Macro & Portrait lens)
Canon EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 II (general walkaround len)
Canon EF 80-200 1:4,5-5.6 II (daylight action/sports lens)

If you are looking to get into this a little more seriously, there the following list would be a much better and more expensive. Sell your two lenses and use the money to help finance.

30D body $ 1,149.95
Canon 50mm 1.4 $ 309.95 (Portrait low light prime)
Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro (Macro and medium prime indoor action telephoto)
Canon 17-40 2.8 telephoto $ 1,149.95 or Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 telephoto $ 449.00 (great lens)
Canon 70-200mm 2.8 non IS $ 1,139.95

As you see it can start to get expensive quickly. You need to decide whether you are in a hurry for lots of stuff or better quality. If you are lucky you will able to afford both at the same time. You will endup finding that with macro you are going to need a good flash. Same with portrait at some point or lights. Good tripod, monopod for sports etc..etc..etc.. It is a never ending cycle. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum.

The new Rebel XTi has some great new technology...like a self cleaning sensor etc.

The 20D is a great camera...and the 30D is basically the same but with a few nice upgrades like a bigger screen and spot metering etc.

If you haven't yet...go into a store and hold them. The Rebel is small...to small for some. I don't like the layout of controls on the Rebels...which is why I got a 20D over the Rebel XT. Given the choice of the 30D and the XTi...I might choose the XTi...but include the battery grip to make it bigger.

As for lenses...you will need something wide...becuase your current lenses will seem longer on a digital SLR than on a film EOS camera. The kit lens...is a good, cheap lens to start with...but if you can afford something better...go for it. The 50mm F1.8 is also cheap...but rather good optically.

Hey there. I just bought a Canon 30D with a Canon 85mm f/1.8. The 30D felt alot sturdier and heavier in my hands than the XTi. I've been delighted ever since I purchased it.

There is currently a $100 rebate on the 30D also ....

PLUS Canon is doing their annual rebate deal where you can double the rebate if you buy two products from their list. The $100 30D rebate becomes $200 if you buy a lens, etc. The rebates on the second product double as well.

Just FYI ...

Check out the list:
http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/Promotions/CIWC_Form_Oct06.pdf

Thanks for the advice. Now the real challenge....to wait for the "best" sales this season.

Dah

i agree, you will have to get something wider than 30 mm, else you will disappointed in the wide angle range compared to film or full frame cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back