equipment recommendations

mamatomaya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
snapshotsbybri.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am so excited to have found this forum! Have already learned so much on here.

I currently have a canon rebel xt 8MP. Old, old, old I know :) with the 18-55 kit lens and the 50mm 1.8. Have photoshop elements.

I am mostly a hobbyist and starting to take photos of others who have asked me to. I take lots and lots of my little toddler. So far I have done a maternity shoot, a newborn shoot, a family shoot, and a couple of babies.

I feel like I need to get better with the equipment that I have first, but my wishlist for now is to upgrade to the 50D, buy a speedlite 430EX, upgrade to PS (can get teacher discount), and a new lens. I really don't know what lens I want to upgrade to. I rented the tamron 28-75 2.8 and really liked it.

Just looking for some recommendations for priorities and lenses. Thanks in advance!

50d is a pretty dated camera. A cheaper T2i will do far better and will even do 1080p video. You'll have cash left over for some nice lenses, too.

50d is a pretty dated camera. A cheaper T2i will do far better and will even do 1080p video. You'll have cash left over for some nice lenses, too.

hmm interesting. one pro photographer told me that he never knew a professional who shot less than the 50D. I'm no pro, but maybe someday...

50d is a pretty dated camera. A cheaper T2i will do far better and will even do 1080p video.

That doesn't seem accurate from what I've seen (as far as trashing a 50d for a T2i). Video on these cameras are almost a throwaway feature imo anyway.

Well, time marches on... probably why the 60D is in the on-deck circle.

Edit: Here's just a few reasons the T2i is better:
3MP more resolution 18 Vs 15mp)
Zone metering: 63 point AF Vs the 50D's 35 point
Exposure compensation +/-5 Vs the 50D's +/- 2
As mentioned, video in many resolutions up to 1080p
Higher resolution LCD screen than the 50D
Less low light noise than the 50D
...$400 cheaper

Last edited:
If video matters to you, go for the T2i, but if you're more of a still-image person, I'd suggest the Nikon D5000 or Pentax K-x. Or the D90 if you're willing to spend a bit more.

In my opinion the XT is still a very good camera(I have one) I think you will notice more of a difference in your photography with a new lens than a new body(unless you plan on getting a 5d or 1d series). I upgraded to a 50D and with decent lighting and an uncropped image you are hard pressed to see the difference. Now the 50D is a better camera in alot of respects but... I found more of a difference in better glass than upgrading bodies. Dont get me wrong I really like my 50D and I rarely ever pick up my XT but if I had to choose 50d or glass I would pick new glass.

Oh and I recommend the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro! Very sharp and versatile! Not to expensive compare to other lens.

In my opinion the XT is still a very good camera(I have one) I think you will notice more of a difference in your photography with a new lens than a new body(unless you plan on getting a 5d or 1d series). I upgraded to a 50D and with decent lighting and an uncropped image you are hard pressed to see the difference. Now the 50D is a better camera in alot of respects but... I found more of a difference in better glass than upgrading bodies. Dont get me wrong I really like my 50D and I rarely ever pick up my XT but if I had to choose 50d or glass I would pick new glass.

Oh and I recommend the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro! Very sharp and versatile! Not to expensive compare to other lens.

one thing for me is the noise at higher ISO do you find that better on your 50D? I will check into the 100mm. Thanks!

Edit: Here's just a few reasons the T2i is better:
3MP more resolution 18 Vs 15mp)
Really only important for print size. A 10MP cam will do 13x19's all day. Most hobbyists rarely print that big, let alone bigger.
Zone metering: 63 point AF Vs the 50D's 35 point
Possibly an upside, but you still have to check your histogram and adjust accordingly.
Exposure compensation +/-5 Vs the 50D's +/- 2
I rarely use more than 2/3 either direction, on occasion 1, but I've never used 2, so three extra stops isn't a deal breaker for me.
As mentioned, video in many resolutions up to 1080p
I own a video camera to do video.
Higher resolution LCD screen than the 50D
Which will still be next to impossible to see outside or under bright indoor lighting.
Less low light noise than the 50D
Still not a deal breaker, all other things considered.
...$400 cheaper
For a very good reason. It's unrealistic to say a consumer SLR like the 550D is better than a prosumer cam like the 50D. That's like saying a Ford Crown Vic is better than a Lincoln Town Car, and costs $30,000 less, to boot. Different classes. I'll take the magnesium alloy body of the 50D anyday over the plastic on steel frame of the Rebs. I'll take the bigger body that allows better spacing of controls, better feel in my hands, and with a heavy prime like my Sigma 50, doesn't feel like a camera attached to a lens like it does on my 350D.

Wow, after reading that, I realize it sounds confrontational and I apologize if I've offended, it wasn't meant to. I simply wanted to counter your claims with valid and legitimate counter arguements. Some of your points are subjective.

To the OP, I agree that right now you'd be better served by some nice glass. $150 at B&H gets you the current kit lens (18-55 IS) which is vastly superior to the kit lens that came with your (and my) 350D. It's really good value for the money, and you can probably pick one up used for a little less.

The 50 1.8 is very good opticaly, but is a bear in low light.The Canon 50 1.4 is marginally better optically, but much quieter and built much better as well as having far better AF in low light. For about $150 (it's been a while since I've looked at prices) more, the Sigma 50 1.4 is awesome. The 350D is still a very competant camera, and with good glass and your improving skills, you'll be very surprised at what it can do.

To the OP, I agree that right now you'd be better served by some nice glass. $150 at B&H gets you the current kit lens (18-55 IS) which is vastly superior to the kit lens that came with your (and my) 350D. It's really good value for the money, and you can probably pick one up used for a little less.

The 50 1.8 is very good opticaly, but is a bear in low light.The Canon 50 1.4 is marginally better optically, but much quieter and built much better as well as having far better AF in low light. For about $150 (it's been a while since I've looked at prices) more, the Sigma 50 1.4 is awesome. The 350D is still a very competant camera, and with good glass and your improving skills, you'll be very surprised at what it can do.

is there a different kit lens now than the 18-55 that came with my rebel?

Yes. The current kit lens is the EF-S 18-55mm IS. Optically it's much, much better than the old one. The IS works very well, and it has better color, contrast, and sharpness. About $150 from B&H.

one thing for me is the noise at higher ISO do you find that better on your 50D? I will check into the 100mm. Thanks!

Yes the higher ISO is light years ahead(maybe not light years but is alot better). ISO 800 on the XT is like 2000 on the 50d. Also a faster lens will make up for some ISO. But its give or take either way you either gain noise or lose DOF.

I am so excited to have found this forum! Have already learned so much on here.

I currently have a canon rebel xt 8MP. Old, old, old I know :) with the 18-55 kit lens and the 50mm 1.8. Have photoshop elements.

I am mostly a hobbyist and starting to take photos of others who have asked me to. I take lots and lots of my little toddler. So far I have done a maternity shoot, a newborn shoot, a family shoot, and a couple of babies.

I feel like I need to get better with the equipment that I have first, but my wishlist for now is to upgrade to the 50D, buy a speedlite 430EX, upgrade to PS (can get teacher discount), and a new lens. I really don't know what lens I want to upgrade to. I rented the tamron 28-75 2.8 and really liked it.

Just looking for some recommendations for priorities and lenses. Thanks in advance!
i would invest into a flash. after all. all it is is light. without proper lighting no camera will do any good.
check out what iphone camera can do with professional lighting: http://fstoppers.com/iphone/

Most reactions

Back