Equipment Recommendations

Jmain7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently shooting with a canon 1000D and want to step up my game a little. I cannot decide between the Canon 6D or Canon 5D mkII.

I am interested in Portraiture (family groups,adults/kids) nightclub and maybe a little wedding photography along the way.

Can anyone recommend what camera and lighting equipment is ideal? Something of a mobile/portable type where I can carry around to clients address and set up equipment quickly also a setup that is battery powered as to shoot outdoors.

Any ideas of lenses? Also what memory cards are ideal? Do certain ones impact image quality?

I appreciate your time in replying if you've any ideas. Thanks 😊

I'm looking in a similar range: and cannot make a case for the 5DmkII over the 6D. The 6D has more AF points, shoots in lower light, is a far newer device, etc.

Esp nightclub, the low-light focus (the lowest of any DSLR in existence) is a boon.

I'll let others touch on lenses.

You've given no budget constraints, so...I'll assume you're wealthy and have no constraints!! If it were "me" spending "your" money, I would choose a 6D instead of a 5D-II. Memory cards? SanDisk is my favorite brand, 3 or 4 16-gigabyte high-speed cards. Memory cards do not determine still image quality, but slower memory cards CAN IMPACT video recording in some cases!!!

Lenses? Since you're rich as heck, I will put a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L series and a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS-USM Mark II in your shopping cart. As well as a 50mm f/1.4 EF, and the 85mm f/1.8 EF.

Lighting: Battery powered strobes? A set of four Canon RT 600 speedlights, some Photoflex RUT umbrellas, two Lastolite Umbrella Boxes, a Lastolite Tri-Flector, two collapsible round 42-inmch reflectors with two grip arms, and six regular Manfrotto light stands, four umbrella swivel brackets, and some sandbags. Plus TWO heavy-duty Avenger turtle-base stands (aka C-stands, but made by Manfrotto, not Matthews, the original C-stand brand). Cost? I dunno, I guess around $10k, give or take a thousand or so.

The 5D3 battery life is better though, right? As the GPS/Wifi is a bit crappy on the 6D.
Opinions vary on GPS (with GeoTagging a boon in certain sales markets) and WiFi; but they can both be turned off. The 6D is still better than the 5DmkII.

Hi, I am currently shooting with a canon 1000D and want to step up my game a little. I cannot decide between the Canon 6D or Canon 5D mkII.

I am interested in Portraiture (family groups,adults/kids) nightclub and maybe a little wedding photography along the way.

Can anyone recommend what camera and lighting equipment is ideal? Something of a mobile/portable type where I can carry around to clients address and set up equipment quickly also a setup that is battery powered as to shoot outdoors.

Any ideas of lenses? Also what memory cards are ideal? Do certain ones impact image quality?

I appreciate your time in replying if you've any ideas. Thanks 

pocket wizards
bigthumb.gif

I appreciate your time in replying if you've any ideas. Thanks 

pocket wizards
bigthumb.gif

"Needs fill light!":mrgreen::thumbup:

Most reactions

Back